Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DNA wheels any better QC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 03:38 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

DNA rear Ridewright front,,,No issue with either. I think 60 count in stainless would look good.

The following users liked this post:
NBK (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:21 PM
518Train
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Order the wheels straight from DNA how you want them. Had mine for 4 years not one problem. Harley Davidson has had their problems yet folks still buy them.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:26 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I've never had to run a tube with my 21" 80 spoke DNA. There are bad stories about ride wright too. It's the Internet.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:38 PM
Mabbott
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Cousy
I've never had to run a tube with my 21" 80 spoke DNA. There are bad stories about ride wright too. It's the Internet.
Lol very true. I've decided to stick with my oem 16" rims for now. I'll probably need tires next winter so will get new rims then. Still undecided

Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 PM
racerkvn
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had my DNA wheels for almost 2 years. When I put them on the bike they mounted up perfectly. They are black. And chrome. They are round. And they still look great (even after touching up a few spots with black paint because my rear has been mounted and dismounted 3 times and have also racked up about 8500 miles on them. Until somebody starts making wheels that are competitively priced with DNA and has as many options as DNA offers for the same price, they aren't going anywhere and unfortunately, neither is their quality control. I'm not advocating for DNA wheels, they pissed me off when I first got mine because it took so freaking long to get them, my wait was over two months (supposedly, as the excuse I kept getting was, they "re-powdercoated" my rear wheel several times to get it perfect... and when I finally got them, the hoops appear to be painted black and the hubs are powdercoated black). Yes, that pissed me off alittle. No, it wasn't worth sending them back for two reasons, 1) I know nicks, chips and scratches happen to ALL wheels and I'm going to have to touch them up from time to time. 2) And the next option in wheels was going to cost me quite a bit more for the same "look". Being a single dad raising a 4 year old daughter, more Benjamin's are hard to come by just because the other wheels are "supposed" to be better

And then my rear tire went down on the first ride because the sealant broke up inside the wheel and the air leaked out from around 10 spoke/nipples on the side of the road faster than I could put air back in it. That escalated a pisstivity level like you would not believe being stuck at a gas station. But it mainly pissed me off because for YEARS I've always told myself, if it's got spokes, it's getting a tube in it. And this time, I thought they are supposed to be "tubeless" so I'll try it. And it bit me in the ***. I called DNA and they said send it back and they would reseal it no problem and they were apologetic for the issue (this is after waiting over 2 months to get the damn things). I bought a tube the next day, broke it down and fixed it the way I knew I should've done it to begin with. The front has never leaked 1 pound of air and it does not have a tube in it, but I will put a tube in it on the next tire change.

Flat tire on the first ride...

If I was looking for a spoke wheel, yes, I would definitely consider them again. Because the cost is hard to argue for the look. I would just put tubes in them from the start. But if I was buying a billet wheel, I would spend whatever amount of money I had to in order to get the billet wheel I wanted. Spoke wheels are STUPID for that kind of money in my opinion (even the price of DNA Mammoths are too high in my opinion for the sole reason of painted hoops versus powdercoated hoops, but they have no competition in their price category so prices ain't going to go down). Especially after my experience tells me all it gains you is something to brag about at the local bike night and most people, "bikers" included, couldn't even tell you the difference between my black and chrome fat spokes and my buddy's black and chrome fat spokes from 5 feet away. But when asked, I'm sure to let you know we both run the same tubes and mine were considerably less cabbage. If somebody gets down close enough to my wheels to compare paint to powdercoat, I'll give em a rag and tell em to wipe it down while they are down there.

The following users liked this post:
KevO93 (10-11-2019)