Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my first crash!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:35 PM
aarondeere
Cruiser
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Had my first crash!!!

Well just after 14 months and 10k miles I had my first car pull out in front of me. God was watching over me and I don't know how but I managed to not have my leg crushed and kept the bike upright. I was heading south bound on a 50mph road and had a truck a little in front of me. I always watch cars at intersections especially when they roll up to a stop sign. I saw her come to a complete stop as she saw the truck then once he passed pulled out trying to go northbound. I don't have abs and did lock up my rear but was able to slow down to about 20mph and swerved to the left but couldn't clear her front bumper. She was driving a scion and I ripped off half her bumper and hit the front of my slim ripping off the rear brake pedal, air intake, and messing up front fork. I must have raised my leg because there wasn't a scratch on me. Scared the **** out of me. Totally caught me off guard since I had seen her looking directly at my direction. Thanking God I didn't get hurt. Looks like her insurance will cover everything. Have been considering upgrading to a ultra limited with the linked abs. Don't know if that would have helped but am really considering that now along with more lights and a bigger profile. I drive semis and really watch everyone but man people don't pay any attention today. She said she didn't see me at all. Could have been really bad if it had been a pickup with a metal bumper. Surprisingly my wife said she is ok with me still riding just cant take the kids along if I get a bigger bike. At this point I think I totally agree.

The following users liked this post:
IdahoHacker (02-13-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Glad to hear you are alright and she has insurance to cover the scoot. You will never forget it. I hope you get a bike you want if possible. I just bought my first ABS/linked bike and love it.

aarondeere (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 06:37 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Glad you're ok. She didn't see you because she wasn't looking. Look twice save a life. Did you yell at her?

Old 02-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad your okay....
Bikes can be replaced.
When riding, Consider yourself invisible.
Have fun picking out your new ride.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:57 PM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Scary! Glad your OK!

Old 02-08-2017, 07:33 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Glad you are OK. I have had my share of road rash and have lost a few friends over the years. Ride safe

Old 02-08-2017, 07:45 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome that you aren't messed up. Now you need to see what you can learn from this incident. How close were you following the vehicle in front of you....Were you hidden? What was your lane position (left, center, right) and would a different spot make you stand out. Not say'n you did anything wrong just always a way to see things different.

HenryT (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 PM
flstc2
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One story for your grand kids - ride safe

Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 AM
aarondeere
Cruiser
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Once I calmed down and stopped shaking I sure did yell at her. A jogger saw the whole thing and said she looked my way then the other and just pulled out. Driver was a 61yo woman and I think she was about as scared too. It really caught me off guard since she had come to a complete stop and it sure looked to me she had seen me. I was definitely back far enough and have thought what could I have changed. I guess applying more front brake and not locking the rear would of helped but I think I did a decent job of getting rid of speed. On the bike I ride the speed limit or slightly under so that sure helps. On a funny note my American bike looks like it took less damage than her foreign car. Lol. Thanks for the concerns guys. Never know when your times up and it sure sucks to see a hood coming right at ya.

IdahoHacker (02-13-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:26 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Good to hear you made it thru unscathed. You are most fortunate!

Your idea on more lights is excellent. I have a motto of SEE & BE SEEN, which is one of the reasons we have developed so many LED combo kits at DK Custom.

Improving your visibility won't keep todays drivers from pulling out because they "didn't see you", but it Will Reduce those instances.

Have fun shopping for a new bike. I did not like the idea of ABS when HD first came out with it, but it is a definite plus in emergency situations like you experienced.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Had my first crash!!!