Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout + V&H Bigshots Staggered

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:12 PM
jenksdrummer
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Breakout + V&H Bigshots Staggered

I've read several on here have them installed on a Breakout; have they held up? Just curious that V&H still says not compatible...and I want to be certain it'll work and not have issues later on.

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2017, 07:20 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Had V&H BSS installed for a couple of years before going with Jekill & Hyde exhaust. No issues at all. My set of pipes, since they were flawless were bought buy another BO owner and, afaik, he's happy with them.

The following users liked this post:
jenksdrummer (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 02:35 PM
jenksdrummer
Advanced

I've referenced your thread/posts quite a bit about this topic; they've been very helpful. Just wanted to say thanks for that info too.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:15 AM
jenksdrummer
Advanced

OK, yeah, so, I don't know what all and why, but mine sure as hell didn't go on easy, nor "a little tight"...

Nutshell version is that I ended up cutting the supporting bracket to remove the offset portion (so it's more or less a flat square plate), drilled a new hole, reused one of the standoffs for the OEM pipes and both nuts (one as a spacer), and mounted the support bracket only to the bottom pipe (2 bolts), and the 1 support on the frame.

I think the part number changed; perhaps I ordered the wrong set; either way, that was a lot more work than I'd expected.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by jenksdrummer
OK, yeah, so, I don't know what all and why, but mine sure as hell didn't go on easy, nor "a little tight"...

Nutshell version is that I ended up cutting the supporting bracket to remove the offset portion (so it's more or less a flat square plate), drilled a new hole, reused one of the standoffs for the OEM pipes and both nuts (one as a spacer), and mounted the support bracket only to the bottom pipe (2 bolts), and the 1 support on the frame.

I think the part number changed; perhaps I ordered the wrong set; either way, that was a lot more work than I'd expected.
That's weird man.My buddy just installed a set here last week,and we thought we were gonna have to do some modding.Turns out they bolted right up.He didn't even need my help.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:25 PM
jenksdrummer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daddy454
That's weird man.My buddy just installed a set here last week,and we thought we were gonna have to do some modding.Turns out they bolted right up.He didn't even need my help.
Can you find out what part number he got? I wondering if I managed to fudge that...

Old 04-09-2017, 10:00 PM
jenksdrummer
Advanced

V&H shows two part numbers; 17933 and 17939, for chrome (black is another)

I ordered 17939; 17933 seems to only turn up on ebay; revzilla and jpcycles (jp is who I ordered from) only list 17939.

Guess I'm at a loss; unless something is different with the 2017 FXSB.

EDIT: Only other thing I can think of is the use of the HD-style exhaust gaskets. I'm thinking of swapping mine and seeing how it fits; the gaskets I used were the ones that were in the kit; flat - the HD gaskets are much more substantial...

Last edited by jenksdrummer; 04-11-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 PM
jenksdrummer
Advanced

Confirmed with V&H today the difference in part numbers is limited to the O2 ports. They're identical otherwise.

Gotta be the gaskets...I'll swap mine out in the coming days...

Old 04-13-2017, 08:14 AM
jenksdrummer
Advanced

Swapped gaskets last night with the JP Cycles OEM-style gaskets. Fits WAY tighter at the exhaust ports; I don't feel like I have to crank at the exhaust studs to get the pipes to seat against the gaskets now, and the bracket now fits in there now without too much effort. How'd I end up with a spare bracket? Well, UPS damaged a set of pipes; and JP Cycles put in a damage claim, and sent me a new set of pipes. Borrowed the bracket - I'll replace it via V&H and tell UPS to come in 3 weeks - lol.