Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:17 AM
Henry Porter
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie question

Hi. Greetings from Norway. I just bought a 2008 Softail Custom. Pretty much stock with SE slip-ons. I want to do a stage 1 upgrade and have a couple of questions. Can I just buy a bigger air cleaner kit and be done? Or do I have to tune the EFI system at my H-D dealer?

Another option is to spend some more money and buy the V&H Big Radius Exhaust, the V&H V2 Air intake kit and the V&H Fuelpack FP3. Would that be a much better Stage 1 upgrade, and would I really notice a big difference?

In the latter case, I donīt have to send the bike to my H-D dealer, right? The FP3 does all the tuning?

By the way, hereīs my bike:

Name:  FXSTC-2_zpsdmw2jhjc.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  400.8 KB
Name:  FXSTC-5_zpsj4r6ekmu.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  413.3 KB

Old 05-17-2017, 02:46 AM
nukie
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats a good looking bike. I have a 1996 softail custom, i added the D&D fatcat exhaust, woods6 cam and headwork which was done by hillside cycles. did a big sucker exhaust and the mikuni 42 carb. enjoy your new ride

Old 05-17-2017, 03:39 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry Porter
Hi. Greetings from Norway. I just bought a 2008 Softail Custom. Pretty much stock with SE slip-ons. I want to do a stage 1 upgrade and have a couple of questions. Can I just buy a bigger air cleaner kit and be done? Or do I have to tune the EFI system at my H-D dealer?

Another option is to spend some more money and buy the V&H Big Radius Exhaust, the V&H V2 Air intake kit and the V&H Fuelpack FP3. Would that be a much better Stage 1 upgrade, and would I really notice a big difference?

In the latter case, I donīt have to send the bike to my H-D dealer, right? The FP3 does all the tuning?
Welcome to the forum from Texas.

Stock Harley engines run lean and, therefore, hot. If you add a heavy breather air cleaner, you are adding more air but no more fuel and that will worsen the lean situation. So, a new tune is required. The HD dealer can download a new tune for you but, in general, the engine will still run lean with their maps. In my opinion, the FP3 would be a better choice.

Now, you can use the FP3 with any brand pipes and air cleaner. You don't have to have a V&H exhaust and air cleaner with the FP3. You are correct that if you choose the FP3, you don't need the dealer.

Nice bike, by the way.