Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackline Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:36 AM
joshjohnson93
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blackline Info

Hey all, new to the forums here as I recently picked up my first bike, a 2012 Blackline FXS, with about 3000mi at the time. It seems mostly stock other than a one-off paintjob (which I am not sure if I like or not, still deciding, give me your thoughts) but it was a good deal so I couldn't pass it up! Anyways it seems that there wasn't a ton of Blacklines sold in the day, so if anybody else wants to post up some pictures of theirs, that would be awesome. Also I am kinda unclear on what sets them apart from a Breakout or a regular Softail (other than alot of black powdercoating), so if anybody wants to educate me that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Blackline Info-1bpk7jp.jpg

Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM
joshjohnson93
Stage IV

Also if anyone could identify the pipes that would be cool too, they don't have any info on them. Loud as hell though!

Old 05-28-2017, 05:11 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I believe the pipes are Bassanni turn outs....I had a set of "pro streets" they are the same except they exit straight back. I just bought a '15 slim an from what I've read they share seats so I assume the rear fender an stuff are the same (but I have the "side plate")...you have a what looks like a 'wide glide' front end an forward controls, throw the fat FL front end an some foot boards an that bike would be my Slim. Paint isn't bad, I could live with it. one mans "custom paint" is another man's nightmare but that isn't crazy busy or over the top so I don't see a need to rush to change.

The following users liked this post:
joshjohnson93 (06-05-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 PM
Skeeter666
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

come over to our Fb page. I cant put the link here but search "Harley Davidson blackline group"

Old 05-29-2017, 08:36 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

The blackline is the same (structurally) as a Slim from the neck back. That is to say that the fender and rear struts are the same, therefore the seats are interchangable. The difference is the front end, where the Slim has the FL front end, the Blackline has the wide glide FX front end. There are some other differences in tank trim and instrumentation and controls. Boards on the Slim and forwards on the Blackline. The pipes are Bassani Pro-Street turnouts. The pro-streets are made in straight back, turn-out, and slash-cut. There is no “regular” softail so to speak, they are all slightly different. There are several that use the same rear fender struts, and similar fenders. The frames are all the same, what varies is the tins, front end, controls, struts, fenders, and wheel widths. The exception being the Breakout (and perhaps the rocker, not that familiar), its a beast all its own in the rear.

Hope that helps

P.S. PM me if you are interested in a Slim solo saddle for your year of bike, I have one.

Last edited by Otter; 05-29-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

One of the unique characteristics of the Blacline is the handlebar system.. cabling is internal, the speedo is located between the separate handlebars and you cannot adjust position of the handlebars .. the entire setup is unique to the Blackline and a source of grievance in case you want to get different handlebars since Blackline does not have standard risers.. I was so aggravated by it that I actually removed the upper Triple Tree and drilled holes on it to be able to install standard risers.. there are third party Upper Triple trees options in the market to be able to install standard risers.... I believe they cost around $300... ouch..

Old 05-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Skeeter666
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ive got a todds cycles top triple tree so I have standard hd bars. also have a set of slim floor boards on mine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Skeeter666:
joshjohnson93 (06-05-2017), rowan (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 05:57 AM
kansei
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple of videos about the Blackline and features

If i remember I seen a video about your bike - the dealer had a special on the last Blackline they had , offered a free custom paint job on it .

and here's mine

Name:  EDB1E99A-71DE-4F04-8481-E00E05C5E0F4_zpssd6xijuu.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  237.3 KB

Old 07-22-2017, 07:08 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Skeeter666
ive got a todds cycles top triple tree so I have standard hd bars. also have a set of slim floor boards on mine.

Awesome setup, ride there, well done.

OP,
Welcome, pretty much all has been covered, Blackline and Slim, pretty close but a few changes Blacklines are sweet rides and not very commonly seen as other models.
Is your paint custom? Looks similar to a limited HD paint set done for the FXS,FLS a few years back.

Last edited by rowan; 07-22-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Skeeter666 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:02 AM
joshjohnson93
Stage IV

Originally Posted by kansei
Here are a couple of videos about the Blackline and features

https://youtu.be/GtBP2DiX9-E

https://youtu.be/aLo88BxGsE0

If i remember I seen a video about your bike - the dealer had a special on the last Blackline they had , offered a free custom paint job on it .

and here's mine

Thanks for the videos! And interesting, it seems to have been sold from Gasoline Alley HD in Red Deer, Alberta (based on a dealer sticker on the tailight) if that sounds about right? And it seems to be pretty nice quality work, almost looks like the lines are hand painted, and airbrushed to fill.

Quick Reply: Blackline Info