Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Softail saddlebag options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 2018 Softail saddlebag options?

As most of you know by now, Harley made lots of changes for 2018, and for us, it means we have lots of work to do since none of the saddlebags we currently make will fit any of the 2018 models (except Sportys and we won't talk about that here).

Since we have to do lots of re-designing, I thought this would be a good time to ask for some input. We of course will be altering our retro T-Sport bags to fit the new models, but with the changes in the new struts, it is now possible to make a slightly smaller bag without having to relocate the turn signals or change the exhaust (except the Fat Bob, unless you just want to run one bag on the left side).

So we are asking you guys what do you think? Traditional leather bags with the straps, or a locking, latching lid without straps? Expandable Ballistic nylon with a leather lid like a mini T-Sport or a whole new design? Give us some ideas.

Thanks in advance, and keep ridin'
Garry

Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

One of the things I feel HD got wrong on my Heritage is the bags. The latch works great but is hideous. Why did they put it on top?? Also the internal mechanism breaks up the loading mouth too much which means nothing close to the bag dimensions fits in the opening.

My dream bag would be more traditional bag with straps.
(Adding: quick detach...hold fast compatible...)

Bigger bags as an option would be great too even though it would require a different exhaust to fit. I think a lot of serious tourers will go 2-1 or dual sided pipes to make more room.

Thanks for asking. Looking forward to your designs.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-04-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:01 PM
braveryd
Novice
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks LeatherPros for reaching out to the community and asking for input. I wish more companies would do this.

Here are the criteria I'm looking for in a set of saddlebags for my future Softail.

1. I don't want to have to relocate the turn signals or change exhaust
2. Must be quick detach for when I want it too like clean and bag free
3. Needs to keep the narrowness for lane splitting
4. Must play nicely with Harley's new HoldFast system since I'll probably like to get a sissybar on there

I like the Burly Saddlebags as a concept but leather could be nicer and not having that bracket always there would be nice too.

The following 2 users liked this post by braveryd:
Fureek (11-08-2019), Søren Rix Petersen (11-08-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 03:51 PM
crazydubc
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Following. I will be replacing the pipes on my fat bob and waiting for good bag options.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:36 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 543 Likes on 397 Posts

The bags are 1 of the features I dislike on the Heritage. I would like to see larger bags that are quick detach or come off with a few bolts like the Springer bags. No studs or conchos, top opening and lockable. Maybe leather cover plastic bags if they looked real. I would swap out the signals and pipes anyway. Its nice to be ask about the design, Thanks

Old 10-04-2017, 05:36 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I run LeatherPro bags on my 2014 Heritage, very nice bags! I never cared for the stock bags and sold them right off the bat. One thing you might consider is a bolt on option, as cool as the quick disconnect is I never take the bags off. If and when I buy a new bike I would like bags that bolt on.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:59 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

The bags were one thing I was hoping HD would have done better, I like the previous Heritages bags but they collapse easily & need stiffeners, the older bags had snaps then they did away with that & put a metal plate in the bag bottom - still the sides needed reinforced & the lids needed attention too - this is why saggybags, papabags - boss bags etc.. have a stiffener system!

Ideal bag would have stayed similar in style (HD exhaust screwed that) - heres a wish list: return to the 17`s or prior style - have stud options or no studs or the digital stud they have now (guess that's the right name) the bags should be totally reinforced bottom, lids & sides with about 2-3 more inches width at the bag opening.

I like the way the new bags function (opening them) but don't like the locking mechanism - they could have done a deadbolt lock style that latched at each end in stead of directly in the middle thus limiting storage. this is one of the reasons I passed on the new heritage - I really don't see an aftermarket fix that will give the same capacity the older model bags had with the way the pipe arrangement is, even with a molded bag bottom with a pipe cut out wouldn't work (thinking stretched style here).

IDK - the aftermarket has their work cut out for them on bags - I just cant buy a bike that I cant at least put a half helmet in the bags or a leather jacket - the heritage as is wont even be a good over nighter/extended week end get away bike. Good luck & I hope you get a good product to replace the current bags.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:37 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Yeah, not crazy about the new Heritage bags
The push-button on top.
They don't hold as much as the older ones.

I still say they should have run the exh lower and done
something like the RoadKing Custom bags. Hidden button,
they hold a ton more.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

HI Garry,

Thanks for doing this. I have your retro t-sport bags on my Dyna, which I love. I would say if you are going to make bags for the new 2018 then doing a t-sport style, ballistic nylon would be the way to go. My opinion is with my 2018 fat bob in mind, so maybe even a shape that flows well with the new bikes, which are more angular than round when it comes to the styling.

I would also make the bags expandable.

I think there will be a huge divide of opinion between someone like me who has the fat bob (or a street bob), vs someone who has a heritage or fatboy. We will just want different style bags, for the most part.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

I wished for a 2 into 1 exhaust for the new Heritage, so I would have more choice in larger bags. Given that any such changes would void my warranty, that's kinda iffy.

Quick Reply: 2018 Softail saddlebag options?