Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 2018 Fat Bob thread update

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:04 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Another 2018 Fat Bob thread update

Well.. I’ve got the mids on.. and they are every bit as good as I’d imagine they’d be. Also changed out the side plate to the blackmill rear plate mount. Check it out:

Some older pics of the signals:

Last edited by izzyryder; 05-23-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:13 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

I think the new rear plate mount looks much better. Eric from Blackmill was super easy to purchase from and was fast and courteous. The time and care he puts forth into this product along with the packaging really shows. USA made.

The next touch tomorrow is the Barnett clear derby cover. So hopefully I’ll get it on and get some pics.

The forward controls were never bad, but I think if you’re used to mid controls, you just can’t ever go back to forwards.. you always want that ‘feet under you in control feel’ that only mids can give. Really makes the bike handle much better, imo, and should Have come with them installed standard on this bike.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:16 AM
Bikerender
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats. How much of a pain was it getting the mids? Did you swap in a Street Bob primary or mod the Fat Bob?

Old 05-24-2018, 01:22 AM
Bikerender
Intermediate

NM, just saw your ad in the classifieds. Kinda makes me sick to think about flopping down that cash on what should be a plain jane parts bin option... really, like you said, it should have been the stock setup on this bike.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:49 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Looks great! Nice job.....

Old 05-24-2018, 04:32 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

I like it. How comfortable are the mids? I am really liking this bike and when I sat on it I wondered about mids vs stock position.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:06 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bikerender
Congrats. How much of a pain was it getting the mids? Did you swap in a Street Bob primary or mod the Fat Bob?
the biggest pain was waiting for actual take offf parts to be available as I didn’t want to buy the parts brand new.

Originally Posted by Bikerender
NM, just saw your ad in the classifieds. Kinda makes me sick to think about flopping down that cash on what should be a plain jane parts bin option... really, like you said, it should have been the stock setup on this bike.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by adm
Looks great! Nice job.....
Thanks! 🤟🏻

Originally Posted by army_eod
I like it. How comfortable are the mids? I am really liking this bike and when I sat on it I wondered about mids vs stock position.
i love it. The mids give it a whole new feel for me. I’m 5’11” and prefer mids over forward controls.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:26 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by izzyryder
Well.. I’ve got the mids on.. and they are every bit as good as I’d imagine they’d be. Also changed out the side plate to the blackmill rear plate mount. Check it out:
Would the mids have worked with the stock exhaust? Wouldn't happen to have a direct side shot of the exhaust side of the bike (better to see the mids install)?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:31 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by T^2
Would the mids have worked with the stock exhaust? Wouldn't happen to have a direct side shot of the exhaust side of the bike (better to see the mids install)?
there is absolutely no way at all the stock exhaust and mids would work together. I also remember reading (can’t remember where) of a quote saying Harley would rather have the exhaust style they choose over mid controls.

I’ll look for a pic but to give you an idea, if the exhaust blocks the bottom edge of the cam cover then mids most likely won’t work with it.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Bikerender
Intermediate

That's another thing that hacks me, that you're constrained to only a handful of aftermarket pipes AFTER you have to frankenstein a solution to having mid controls--on the bike that's supposed to appeal to performance minded riders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quick Reply: Another 2018 Fat Bob thread update