Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fatboy handling

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:12 PM
wheelred12
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default fatboy handling

2018 fatboy s. Why do i have to fight my fatboy on the highway at 70mph like im wrestling a bear?

Old 09-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Going straight or in a curve?

Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelred12
2018 fatboy s. Why do i have to fight my fatboy on the highway at 70mph like im wrestling a bear?
Since we don't know anything about your riding skills/experience, that's a question only you can answer.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

No problem with mine. Check tire psi and rear shock pre-load setting. Follow Owner's Manual recommendations.

I should add that I have never wrestled a bear. If there is nothing to it then mine handles the same.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 09-20-2018 at 10:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AbqDave (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

That’s all up to the individual rider this is why you should test ride and get get the experience needed to make the right purchase.

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Mine handles just fine for what it is, a Harley. It isn't a crotch rocket, which is much lighter and able to zip in and out of traffic (which is stupid in my opinion). I am guessing, based on the the low post count of the OP, that he is brand new to Harleys.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

I think I know what you're talking about, as I took my FB on the freeway a couple of days ago and felt like I had to man handle it at 70mph. I hardly ever ride on the slab. But the time before this, when I did so and rode it for 50 miles to the dealership at the same speeds to do my 1K, it was a very different experience.

I think that atmospheric conditions make a big difference. I've noticed this for years while trying to reduce or remove buffeting on the freeway on different bikes I've owned. On different days the same setup can feel entirely different in respect to buffeting and the bike being pushed around on the freeway. And while I don't have a windshield on my FB I believe that the difference between the last two times I've had it on the freeway has been due to the density of the air, and heat of the day during those two separate trips down the freeway.

Try riding your bike on the freeway again but when the temperature, time of day, and other conditions are different than the last ride. And then compare the two rides. You may be surprised.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 PM
bbmach
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelred12
Pay attention to traffic around you. Cars, and more significantly big trucks, move a lot of air... does it happen with you are passing or being passed? Sudden open areas with crosswinds?

Are you new to H-D, or at least ones with solid wheels? I had my eyes opened a few times back in 2004 when I first started riding my V-Rod with solid wheels. Now I know what to look for and am prepared when moving up behind/next to a tractor trailer and it's hardly noticeable.

Oh, one more thing - the more you "fight it" the worse it is. Trust the bike and let the handlebars dance in your hands a bit... the bike may move around some, but you won't lose control. If you stiff-arm it, everything will move including you!

Last edited by bbmach; 09-21-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Additional Though
Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know but maybe I'm just too old with too many miles and don't care but I find my '18 Fat Boy 114 very steady and relaxing on the interstate. I rode one 678 mile day with over 200 of those miles on I-10 in west Texas running between 75 and 90mph (speed limit 80 mph), This road is loaded with 18 wheelers running over 70mph and other traffic pretty much exceeding the limit. I do have cruise control and the 15" windshield but even with those off this ride is damn good. It handles cross winds with no sweat and all the chatter about the fat tires making cornering and curving mountain roads difficult does not seem to apply to my FLFBS. I have ridden it in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado and the hills of Texas as well as the super slabs and it performs as I want it to.

Try relaxing and loosen your grip on the bars and maybe you will find that you do not have to fight it. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:50 PM
wheelred12
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the help. I am new to street bikes and didnt seem to have to fight it much on test rides. I live right off the toll road outside of austin tx and the speed limit varies between 75 and 85 and know that a slow vehicle on a high speed road is as much a hazard as one exceeding the speed limit. Ill check my tires and see how different conditions affect the ride. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: fatboy handling