Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Fatboy Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:51 AM
tbattles2
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1997 Fatboy Starting Issue

Hey everyone, i have a 1997 Fatboy 42,600 miles that every so often in the morning just decides not to want to start. Sounds like the starter is trying to turn it over, but just can't quiet do it, like it is trying to start on a very high compression stroke if that makes sense. It is starting to turn the motor, but just cant seem to turn it even one full revolution. Any Ideas?

1. Already swapped battery, its less than a week old.
2. Will start up fine most all times.
3. Battery is fully charged, had been putting on the tender at night last few nights because i thought the battery was possibly low like i had a alternator/charging issue maybe.
4. Checking voltage while running and charging great.
5. So far only happens in the morning 2 times, Temp outside from 68-72 F.
6. Starter does get warm after trying several times.
7. Even hooked up to a big charger to just test if it was battery amperage, no luck.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:27 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

If your confident in the health of the battery and the starter then I would look the battery cables end to end for any corrosion, breaks, tight connections. Also consider swaping out the 30 AMP circuit breaker .

While not a substitute for the Service Manual there is a lot of good troubleshooting informaiton in this manual:

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....roubleshooting

Old 10-03-2018, 10:34 AM
tbattles2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mmesa005
If your confident in the health of the battery and the starter then I would look the battery cables end to end for any corrosion, breaks, tight connections. Also consider swaping out the 30 AMP circuit breaker .

While not a substitute for the Service Manual there is a lot of good troubleshooting information in this manual:

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....roubleshooting

Thank you, i am planning on tearing apart and looking at connections tonight hopefully. As far as the condition of the starter, i can't say i am confident the starter/solenoid are NOT the problem, but its just weird for it to start fine most of the time then just all of a sudden 2 mornings act like a really weak starter ya know. I'm hoping for a corroded connection somewhere.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Keep us posted!

Old 11-17-2018, 08:38 PM
tbattles2
5th Gear
Default Got it fixed

ok so went through 2 batteries so thought it couldn’t possibly be the brand new battery but guess what, I rebuilt the starter, really needed it anyway, and it still wouldn’t start so got the Jeep and hooked the jumper cables up and guess what, yup it turned over fine. I only got the battery from advance auto because it was the only place close that was open but I’ll never do that again, put an interstate battery on it and works great.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:58 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

If you're going to go after the battery cables, have a look at the Sumax cables. I replaced my wimpy Harley cables with the Sumax and I love them..

Old 11-18-2018, 02:23 PM
irydasteelhorse
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

all batteries are not created equal. my 89 used to do that, changed to a high output battery, no more problems. i did eventually also put a high torque starter in it, and never had an issue again. evo starters are easy to put in, just fyi

Old 11-18-2018, 07:05 PM
tbattles2
5th Gear

Yeah the starter came out fine when I figured out the oil tank trick. So rebuilt starter and quality battery, she starts better than she has since I’ve had her.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tbattles2
Yeah the starter came out fine when I figured out the oil tank trick. So rebuilt starter and quality battery, she starts better than she has since I’ve had her.
What oil tank trick??

Old 11-19-2018, 04:22 PM
tbattles2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
What oil tank trick??

Having to loosing all the bolts and hold it or strap it up to the frame to allow room to slide the starter out a lot easier.

Quick Reply: 1997 Fatboy Starting Issue