Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slim scraping

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:51 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Slim scraping

My Road King is getting a bit to hard for me to handle for parking and slow maneuvering. I have balance problems with my ears. I have been driving a 16 Slim and it is so much easier to handle in slow maneuvering and much easier to back up. The only 2 things that I don't like is no cruse control, but I can buy cruse to take care of that, The other problem is I scrape the floor boards way to easy. On my King I can take the curves pretty hard with no problem. When I drive his Slim on the same curves I have to go slower or she scrapes. This problem don't look to be so easy to fix. I can get a great deal on this bike and I want to buy it, but the scraping so easy is holding me back.
I wish I could get a riser kit, a half inch would help a lot but I cant find any so far. Anyone make a riser kit ?? I welcome any advice.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:16 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I put some narrower boards on my fat boy....I think they are off a deluxe...

Old 11-23-2018, 11:18 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

You can get different length shocks that might raise it a bit, but you can accomplish a lot with different ride technique. Shifting your weight on the bike towards the inside of the turn will significant increase how sharp/fast you can turn with less lean angle. Literally slide your butt over on the seat to the correct side (inside turn) for aggressive riding. Hang a cheek off if you need to. Similar to racers, but without trying to drag your knee...however throwing your knee outward into the turn will further increase your turn sharpness.

switching to pegs or narrow boards helps also.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:16 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Well I don't like the answers, I hate to change how I ride after 35 years on bikes and differently don't want narrow boards. But I do appreciate your input, thanks.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:34 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

if you haven't bought anything yet I think the new slims with the mono shock sit higher an have better ground clearance.

The following users liked this post:
mitchxout (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Well I don't like the answers, I hate to change how I ride after 35 years on bikes and differently don't want narrow boards. But I do appreciate your input, thanks.
With a softail you don't have a lot of choices and any will be a compromise of some kind or cost $$$$. To actually solve the issue the suspension needs upgrading, better damping for the front and improved shocks for the rear. Sloptails have always been soft in the *** and the bike sits low bone stock.

I understand where your heads at but on the slim you do have to adjust your riding style the RK spoiled you.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:14 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
With a softail you don't have a lot of choices and any will be a compromise of some kind or cost $$$$. To actually solve the issue the suspension needs upgrading, better damping for the front and improved shocks for the rear. Sloptails have always been soft in the *** and the bike sits low bone stock.

I understand where your heads at but on the slim you do have to adjust your riding style the RK spoiled you.
Yes your right I loved my King so much. I'm buying my sons 2016 Slim. I have well over 300 miles on it, at least with the Slim I can keep from tipping over when parking on uneven ground. I got to get use to the buzzing feeling on the freeway speeds, my King was smooth as butter at them speeds. Looks like I have a lot of adjusting to do. No bike will ever make me as happy as the King did, I know this and I will deal with it, I'm happy I will still be on a Harley and 2 wheels.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Yes your right I loved my King so much. I'm buying my sons 2016 Slim. I have well over 300 miles on it, at least with the Slim I can keep from tipping over when parking on uneven ground. I got to get use to the buzzing feeling on the freeway speeds, my King was smooth as butter at them speeds. Looks like I have a lot of adjusting to do. No bike will ever make me as happy as the King did, I know this and I will deal with it, I'm happy I will still be on a Harley and 2 wheels.
Rode the same shovelhead since 1982, tweaked it out till I had the best machine for my riding style. 2017 I bought a M8 Road King, fast forward 2 years riding my beloved shovel for any length of time feels like I did a few rounds playing Mike Tyson's punching dummy,

Yeah, they spoil you

Old 11-25-2018, 02:13 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I hear you on “change”, but the first time you shift your weight a little in a turn and are amazed at the increased cornering and the lack of scraping I know you’ll be darn happy. It’ll give you a new lease on riding and it’s free. Fingers crossed for ya.

GPHDXLC (11-26-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 04:37 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

OP

I know of at least one newer Twin Cam Softail that came from the factory with the shocks set at zero preload. Get in your manual and review how to increase the preload with the special HD wrench. That will increase ride height and reduce early scraping. That said, it's a Softail so some of that is inherent to the breed. That doesn't mean they can't be ridden briskly, one member here I ride with can do it very well, but there are compromises to be made.

GPHDXLC (11-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Slim scraping