Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move to Softail from Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Question Move to Softail from Sportster

I will appreciate feedback from a person who has recently moved from a Sportster to a Softail. I am considering making the move from a 1200T to a LowRider.
1. Any issues in transitioning to a Softail? (I have read that the Softail is more stable in low speed and braking maneuvers, any opinion?)
2. Did you have to adjust your braking or other skills for the Softail?
3. Did you get ABS and are you glad you did?

Thanks for your replies.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM
MRPHS
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

I moved from a 2007 883 Super Low to a 2017 Slim S. I wanted ABS and am glad I have it. It feels more stable and not quite as top heavy as the Sportster. Take one for a spin and you’ll see the differences yourself. Really no other way to do it. I sat on many bikes and the Slim just felt comfortable to
me.

The following users liked this post:
Las Vegas Jim (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,237 Posts

It's really going to depend on your body size. I have both, and prefer the Softail over the Sportster, but also prefer my ElectraGlide over the Softail. My wife rides the Sportster, the Softail is mostly around town, and the Glide is the cruiser. I'm 6' 240 lbs for reference, but I'm also going on 63 years old. If a Softail fits you, the transition will be easy.

Las Vegas Jim (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts

I am 5'7' and weigh about 175. I exercise every day and am in good shape, but at 73 I am aware that my reflexes and aren't what they used to be. I really don't like forward controls or floorboards--never have--and didn't like the way the Slim set up for me.. The Lowrider seems to be a good fit when I sat on it at the dealer. As soon as the weather improves a little, I will take a test ride. I have the reach seat now, and I will get it on my next bike.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Too bad you're not a fan of floorboards, a Heritage like mine would be perfect for you. If you find yourself in the Aliante area, you're welcome to see how one that is not stock fits you. (not for sale though)

Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 PM
kculp
Cruiser

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I went to a Heritage as well. Never looked back. I don't think forward controls would ever work for me at 5'7.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 584 Likes on 364 Posts

You've got me by only 3 years and I have a Low Rider. You're in good shape, sounds like you know your limitations, you won't have any problems. FWIW, I went from a Sportster to a Softail Deuce many years ago. I am totally not knocking Sportsters but the stability and balance of the Softail is so much better. There was no ABS back then, I've never had it so I don't miss it. I do most of my own maintenance including the brake fluid flushes when required. Can't do that with ABS, it requires a trip to a dealer.

The rear brake on the Low Rider is next to useless, you've really gotta press hard for it to grab so that'll take some getting used to. It was even mentioned in the American Iron Low Rider review in last months issue so it's not just me. I've been meaning to see if I can raise the pedal height a bit to see if that helps but have just never gotten around to it. That'll take a little getting used to but once you're used to it you know how to handle it. The transition should be easy for you.

-jeff

Last edited by ole_phart; 02-10-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Las Vegas Jim (02-12-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:52 PM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Traded my 2017 XL1200T for a 2018 FLHCS (Heritage 114) in Oct. Love the new bike. Power, suspension, ride height, stability, etc. I'm 5'9" and 165, 67 years old.

Got my 100 mile service done in January. Wouldn't think of going back. Really looking forward to riding in 2019.Have put a few additions on since photo. Waiting for warmer weather before a new photo.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:40 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

I have them all,

I have 3 Sportsters a 2016 Softail Breakout and a 2018 Fat Bob and all of them have ABS exept the Hugger. For town driving I like the Sportsters the most but I must say that the
Bob is also nice to drive in town and on the highway. The Breakout is my less favorit to drive, with the longer wheelbase and wide rear tire I find the handling nothing compared to
the Sportsters or the Bob.

So my choise would be a Fat Bob coming from a Sportster if I only could own 1 bike.

Las Vegas Jim (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,749 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I have both, too, a softail and a sportster. I take the Fatboy out for longer rides and ride the sportster on shorter jaunts around town or for errands or just for kicks. Not that I don't ride the Fat Man for kicks too. I love pulling out on the Interstate into traffic. Nothing can keep up when I jack the throttle. I have the Screaming Eagle 110 motor. You look at a space in traffic where you want to be, twist the throttle, and boom, you're there.

They're very different to ride, obviously. You can whip the sportster around and it's much better in fast turns and low-speed stuff. No trouble at all in parking lots and U-turns, stuff like that. I've taken the wife on it before, but obviously it's not as comfy as the big bike.

The Fatboy is much more stable and relaxed on the highway. It also has a ton more power and is extremely comfortable for longer periods. You sit much lower in the softail. I don't have any problems handing the bigger bike.

Still, I get a huge kick out of the sportser. It's a good, solid mid-sized cruiser that won't overwhelm, a bike you always feel confident on.

It's just a matter of getting used to each.

I'm 5-9, 175.

Quick Reply: Move to Softail from Sportster