Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:11 PM
ua72
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buying a harley

what is the best and cheapest place to buy a harley davidson heritage softail classic I live in rome ga. and have never owned a harley looking for best price in the southeast can't wait to get a new harley I have seen prices from 17,500 to 21,000 for just the stanard classic I know add-ons mount up but I am looking for the best price on a standard heritage [ul][*] [*] [*]
[/ul]

Old 10-25-2005, 09:05 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: buying a harley

The best price will be found at the dealership that's willing to sell it to you for the lowest price. I know that makes absolutely no sense and you're thinking I'm just pulling your leg. However, it's true. I and two of my friends have bought sporsters within a few months of each other. He got the best deal at Illinois Harley after shopping around at all the other dealerships. I got the best price at Chicago Harley after shopping around all the other dealerships (including Illinois). The other guy got the best deal at woodstock harley after shopping around all the other dealerships (including Illinois and Chicacgo). What does that mean? Shop around and see who will do what for you.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:19 PM
JeffD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find one that gives you a break on parts and clothing also, not just the price of the bike. How close is the local dealer to you? I have 2 that are 10 miles in either direction, and no way will I even buy parts from one of the dealers. Spend alot of time looking around, and you will get a feal of the relationship you will have with your dealer AFTER the purchace.

GOOD LUCK, and enjoy the ride!

Jeff

Old 10-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well man, this requires a little patients and research if you really want a good deal. If you get trigger happy your going to get raped with no reach around. I would start by hitting HD's main web site and using the dealer locator. Find all the dealers in your state and all the surrounding states, make a list on your PC or by hand and start making a type of spred sheet. Some of the dealers you find will have awesome web sites with online inventory and online out the door pricing, but alot will have nothing but a phone number and address. DONT COUNT OUT THE DEALERS WITH NO WEBSITE. DONT GET IMPATIENT. We are talking about thousands of dollars here.

Start making calls and formulate your questions before you call, ask the following
1. Are you an MSRP dealer (mark your list)
2. Do you have bike model X in stock on the floor in X color.
3. What is the OTD price no BS.
4. Are you sure there are no other fees.
5. Are you still having $$$ in accessories, can I get that amount towards the bike with no accessories ????
6. How big of discount on accesories if I buy my harley at your shop.
7. Free service etc with purchase of bike ???

Are you getting my point, dont think you need the Harley dealer, the Harley dealer needs you. Dont get to excited if they have the bike you want and they then lay the BS on you, Harley will make more trust me. Dont pay over MSRP until you have exahusted all avenues and you must have the bike NOW. We all understand how excited this moment can be!!! Here are some sites to help you out.

www.zylstrahd.com (some of thier dealers are MSRP you must call)
http://stealer-dealer.com/sd.htm (a type of guide for MSRP dealers around the country,pick your states)
www.hdcoosbay.com (an MSRP out the door dealer but its on the west coast, but is a good guide)
www.cycletrader.com (use the search engine and you will get dealers listing there bikes from around the country)
www.harleydavidson.com (the HD website, dealer locator have fun all day event)
http://www.augustahd.com/default.asp (heres a claimed MSRP dealer in GA, with online inventory)

GOOD LUCK !!!!! BE PATIENT!!!! AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY (AND NOT BROKE)

Old 10-26-2005, 12:05 AM
taurusjim
Cruiser

If your in florida try Gator harley in leesburg fl. List price plus 1000 dollars which includes, freight, set up, first service, 15%off parts for a month, no bogus charges....Fair and honest.... good luck jim

Old 10-26-2005, 07:18 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

In addition to those things, keep in mind travel distance. I could have saved $400 when I bought my first one, by going to a dealer 120 miles from home. By the time I drove there, finished the paperwork, got lunch, etc. I would only save a couple hundred, which would be wasted on the next service. Sometimes it is worth spending a little extra at home to develop a relationship. I haven’t gone into my local dealer for about 5 months. I went in there today, and they talked to me like I visit every day.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Gerard
Road Master

Don't rule out a nice low mileage used one. I found mine on Ebay with only 1,500 miles and was in mint condition. I saved 4 grand over a new one at the dealer.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:07 AM
nuclearbrew
1st Gear

The right place at the right time comes to mind. I just bought a 1999 Heritage Softail Classic, chromed out with a custom airbrushed tank for 9K. The guy needed to sell, and I had money. He is a friend of mine, and I fell sorry for him, but I screwed him or a dealer screwed him! Yes we are still friends, and I wish you luck. I will tell you I saw many good deals before I stole this bike.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:57 AM
jd5150
Stage II

Right now you should be able to buy at BELOW MSRP on any bike (except maybe a screaming eagle)