Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn noise while braking with 21" front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:13 AM
LionFX
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
This happened on my rear wheel when I installed new bearings I did not correct seat the bearing on the rotor side of the wheel first (as per the service manual), and as a result the rotor was not perfectly lined up with the calliper.

I would not shim the calliper need to get the bearing on that side correct and depending on the wheel you may need a different set of left and right side wheel/axle spacers.
Your post is really interesting!
The rear wheel does not make any noise, it is perfect so in fact it is strange that there is noise only at the front as I use the same brake pads and discs both front and rear.
How can I check if the bearing is installed correctly? I bought new wheels and they already had the bearings installed. I made two spacers with the lathe lower than 1mm and nothing has changed. How do I determine the length of the spacers according to the noise that I hear while braking?
Many thanks for your help!!

Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LionFX
Your post is really interesting!
The rear wheel does not make any noise, it is perfect so in fact it is strange that there is noise only at the front as I use the same brake pads and discs both front and rear.
How can I check if the bearing is installed correctly? I bought new wheels and they already had the bearings installed. I made two spacers with the lathe lower than 1mm and nothing has changed. How do I determine the length of the spacers according to the noise that I hear while braking?
Many thanks for your help!!
When installing new bearing in a wheel, the first bearing to install is the one on the rotor side and it must go all the way home, then place the spacer tube in the wheel hub and the second bearing which should very lightly touch the spacer tube.

For a new different wheel, do a trial fit without the spacers only the axle, then with the rotor dead centre of the slot in the calliper measure the length needed for the spacer on that side - the other side spacer length isn't critical.