Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 FXSTD deuce issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 10:09 PM
Cletus_built
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 FXSTD deuce issues

Hello all, I知 new here and I値l admit I only created this account due to the issue at hand. Promise I値l be active lol. Anyways, rode the bike about 270 miles in a thunderstorm and at about mile 265 it had a really high idle and was bogging real bad. I shut it off and it wouldn稚 restart. Was out of town with no tools so I dropped it off at a local shop and the guy said it wasnt holding fuel pressure and that I needed to replace the lines and regulator. Replaced all that, bike is building pressure and holding it but still no start. Getting spark, good compression, fuel pump primes, will run if I pour fuel into the intake. Used a noid light to check the injectors and I知 not getting any pulse. Getting the normal 12v on the positive side, and good continuity to the ECM on the ground side. Now here痴 where it gets ****y. Checked both the grounds on the ecm, and the switched power and constant power and all is good. Swapped the ecm with another twin cam I have and still no start. Put that ecm back in the other bike and now that bike won稚 start either. Did I cook both ecm痴? And if so any ideas what would cause it? Ive poured over the harness multiple times and cannot find anything obviously wrong with it.

Last edited by Cletus_built; 09-05-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:21 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,473 Likes on 4,049 Posts

First, I hope the local guy verified the lack of fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge, and that wasn't just a guess.... is he a good mechanic, or just a parts changer...?

I'm not really good with electrical stuff, plus I hate doing electrical troubleshooting, but it sounds like something may have shorted out in the rain.... Did you check for codes???

If I followed your troubleshooting correctly, you're not getting pulse to the injectors, yet the ECM is getting 12V power and has a good ground...??? That would point to the an issue between, to include, the ECM and the injector's connector....

When you swapped the ECMs, did you inspect the connector to make sure it was clean & dry...?? I'd also check the connectors to the injectors for water intrusion...

The puzzler is that you switched ECMs and now the other bike won't start with it's original ECM... I sure hope there isn't (or was) a water induced short that killed your ECM and then also damaged the other one.... I don't know how to check the ECM specifically...

I know this isn't much help, just kind of thinking out loud... like I said, electrical isn't my strong suit... There are others on this forum, with a good handle on the electrical side of these bikes, that will hopefully chime in with some good suggestions...

Please report back what you find...

Last edited by hattitude; 09-10-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:47 AM
Cletus_built
Stage III

Originally Posted by hattitude
First, I hope the local guy verified the lack of fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge, and that wasn't just a guess.... is he a good mechanic, or just a parts changer...?

I'm not really good with electrical stuff, plus I hate doing electrical troubleshooting, but it sounds like something may have shorted out in the rain.... Did you check for codes???

If I followed your troubleshooting correctly, you're not getting pulse to the injectors, yet the ECM is getting 12V power and has a good ground...??? That would point to the an issue between, to include, the ECM and the injector's connector....

When you swapped the ECMs, did you inspect the connector to make sure it was clean & dry...?? I'd also check the connectors to the injectors for water intrusion...

The puzzler is that you switched ECMs and now the other bike won't start with it's original ECM... I sure hope there isn't (or was) a water induced short that killed your ECM and then also damaged the other one.... I don't know how to check the ECM specifically...

I know this isn't much help, just kind of thinking out loud... like I said, electrical isn't my strong suit... There are others on this forum, with a good handle on the electrical side of these bikes, that will hopefully chime in with some good suggestions...

Please report back what you find...
right so following the diagram I found, we get 12v at the injectors with the system on (fuel pump running etc.) and then the ECM pulses ground to actually fire the injectors. Am definitely getting 12v where I should and I used a noid light and there is no ground pulse at either injector connector. Ive verified fuel pressure myself with a gauge, and ohm checked the ground wire for the injectors back to the ECM connector. No water or corrosion anywhere, but am about 99% confident I cooked both ECM痴. Just not sure what would cause that if not an obvious water short or ground short. Oh well, either way it痴 at harley now with their master tech tearing it apart because i dont have the resources to dive any further. Gonna go up there and look at it with him tomorrow, advisor said he thinks he found the problem but the advisor didn稚 understand it so he wants to talk to me directly

Old 09-10-2021, 10:58 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,473 Likes on 4,049 Posts

Originally Posted by Cletus_built
right so following the diagram I found, we get 12v at the injectors with the system on (fuel pump running etc.) and then the ECM pulses ground to actually fire the injectors. Am definitely getting 12v where I should and I used a noid light and there is no ground pulse at either injector connector. Ive verified fuel pressure myself with a gauge, and ohm checked the ground wire for the injectors back to the ECM connector. No water or corrosion anywhere, but am about 99% confident I cooked both ECM痴. Just not sure what would cause that if not an obvious water short or ground short. Oh well, either way it痴 at harley now with their master tech tearing it apart because i dont have the resources to dive any further. Gonna go up there and look at it with him tomorrow, advisor said he thinks he found the problem but the advisor didn稚 understand it so he wants to talk to me directly

OK, I didn't realize it was a ground pulse that fired the injectors.... other than changing them for size, I never worked on an injector before....

Please post up what the Tech finds.... I am very curious to know what happened..

Old 09-13-2021, 12:01 AM
Cletus_built
Stage III

Okay a bit of an update. Talked to the tech at their shop yesterday and he went over everything with me. He started from square 1 (expected this) checking all the common stuff like fuel pressure spark and compression and got to the same conclusion I did once he tested the injector pulse. He went way farther than I did though, and pulled the tank off and actually stripped the main harness down to individual wires. What he ended up finding was a bit of corrosion in the crimp area of one of the grounds under the front of the seat. He said he cleaned the ground and got a very very dim light from the noid on the injector, so he痴 confident it痴 a ground problem. He said he痴 gonna replace all the ground wires, and the wires between the injectors and ECM. He did throw my ECM in another deuce they had there and it fired right up so thankfully my ECM is still good and makes me more confident in his diag. I知 assuming water running off the tank must have run into the wiring and caused enough corrosion for there to be a significant current drop. Either way, now I need to figure out why the other bike won稚 start now

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 05:32 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

If you find a local shop that has TechnoReserach Centurion Diagnostics, they can pinpoint, or narrow it down quickly.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record