Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Harley-Davidson soft-tail deuce (Carb 88 Cubic engine)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 09:27 PM
jcaron79
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Harley-Davidson soft-tail deuce (Carb 88 Cubic engine)

The bike dies when in idle along with some miss firing. It’s been cold but it hasn’t been that cold. Maintenance has been performed recently on the bike and they found no issues. Usually warms up fine during the summer but lately it has been taking longer than usual.

The following users liked this post:
Deuce49 (02-20-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,855 Likes on 1,464 Posts

Myself, I like my idle turned up a little on carbed vehicles so they warm up easier. I am not sure if that would be covering up an issue. So they just happened or you just got the bike? What maintenance was down?

Myself, I might turn it up idle a hair and see if all is well. A drag rebuild kit for the carb is $50 and something to do too. Also checking vacuum hose is tight and not leaking. Maniofold seals are good. Rebuilding the carb, would give you a chance to go through all that, and not terribly expensive or hard.

Being that it has changed, I might not turn the idle up, because that could he hiding something.

Old 02-18-2024, 11:59 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,629 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Originally Posted by jcaron79
The bike dies when in idle along with some miss firing. It’s been cold but it hasn’t been that cold. Maintenance has been performed recently on the bike and they found no issues. Usually warms up fine during the summer but lately it has been taking longer than usual.
Congratulations on your first post jcaron79, to the forum.
I am sure the "official" HDF welcoming committee chairperson will be along shortly to provide interesting pointers.

In the mean time:

1. If it runs fine once it is warmed up, it may be that your cable enrichment needs adjusting, see diagram below. Reference Ref:5 29229-88D CABLE ENRICHMENT
Price: $17.22
2. If you have made no changes to the carb, air cleaner etc., it may just need a little more warming up; however, enrichner circuit is always suspect if it does not want to idle when cold. If running okay once up to temp, there should be no issue with the carb but sometimes it gets crapped up from stuff out of the fuel tank. Check your Ref: 31
62166-81A, FILTER FUEL VALVE, Price: $16.33 as it may be getting clogged See diagram below.
3. Check your Ref: 4 27002-89 SEAL RING Price: $10.52 and Ref: 3 26995-86B SEAL INTAKE MANIFOLD Price: $4.21 to ensure they are tight and the carb seated correctly.
4. When was the last time the air filter was serviced.
5. Did the recent service include spark plug change? What about spark plug wires, are they in their connections tight?
6. What was serviced? Was it at a dealer or independent and have you had it serviced there before.

NOTE:
The above information, while credible, is worth what you paid for it and should not be considered gospel.
Do due diligence, research and have a H-D Field Service Manual before working on your bike.
You will probably have many opinions and suggestions presented; make sure you research the person providing the helpful information as there are some who provide good information and some who speak out of other orifices with gibberish. You will figure out this quickly.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 02-18-2024 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Deuce49 (02-20-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 06:12 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Default Bad running engine because of hole in fuel line

Here’s another thing that it could be that was happening to my 05 Deuce with about 15,000 mile on it . And having the same symptoms when the gas was very low in the gas tank . But I do have fuel injection and not a carb .

Ok , So where the Quick connect is on your fuel tank , the tank is very narrow . Because of this , the corrugated fuel line on the inside of the tank rubs the top of the tank . And it wears a hole in it from vibration over a long period of time. Which give the fuel injection system, poor fuel pressure . But do curb bikes have a Fuel pump in the tank ?

So if it does the easy way to find out if the fuel psi hose does have a leak in it . Is to remove most of the gas from the tank ( down to about 1/8 . And then While looking into the fuel tank with a flashlight. Turn the ignition switch on, and you will see and hear it spraying.
Now to help with the fix . Make sure to put about 4 or 5 inches of the old corrugated hose over top of the new hose exactly where the hole was on the old hose for extra protection and longevity on your replacement. Hope that makes sense !

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 02-21-2024 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:07 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,440 Likes on 4,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse

But do curb bikes have a Fuel pump in the tank ?

You gave good info for an EFI bike, but carbed bikes have nothing inside the tank but a screen filter on top of the Fuel Petcock...

The fuel on a carb bike is gravity fed. There is no fuel pump or fuel pump pressure to leak out..

They can get a clogged filter screen inside the tank, from dirt or peeling tank liner.

They can also have fuel delivery problems due to an issue with the OEM vacuum petcock losing vacuum then not allowing fuel to pass through even though it's in the "on" position. That is why many of us get rid of the vacuum petcock and switch to a manual petcock.

Carb bikes can also have diminished fuel flow due to delamination of the interior of old fuel hose.

Then of course, a dirty or worn carb could require rebuild....

As you can see, Carbs have issues too, but different from EFI bikes......

Last edited by hattitude; 02-21-2024 at 10:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hattitude:
blu92in99 (02-23-2024), Iron lHorse (02-21-2024), tar_snake (02-22-2024)