Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Heritage Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 11:08 PM
ArdyBoone
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Heritage Light Switch

I don't understand how the light switch works on my 2012 Heritage. If I click the upper setting on the light switch it is the high beam. If I move the switch to the middle setting it is still high beam. If I select the lower setting it goes to low beam. And it doesn't seem to matter whether the aux light switch is on or off.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:23 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ardy, welcome to the forum from central Texas.

It seems something is amiss with your light switch. This is how it should work in the stock configuration.
  • The upper setting is high beam on
  • The middle setting is low beam on
  • The lower setting is to "flash" the high beam. When pressed, the high beam illuminates. When released it returns to the middle setting (low beam)
  • When the high beam is turned on, the auxiliary lamps will turn off. In other words, the auxiliary lamps only work with the low beam. This can be changed so the auxiliary lamps work independently of the low/high beam by rewiring the circuit or using a HD harness, part number 69200442.
When you press the lower position and release it, does it automatically move back to the middle position? If not, the switch itself may be bad. The bad news is that you cannot replace only one switch, you have to replace the entire switch assembly. Was it working as I described at one time and now it isn't?

Other questions:
Are you the original owner? If not, did you just purchase this bike and noticed this or have you owned the bike for a while and this is something new? Have you done any repairs or changes requiring you to open the left switch housing or working with wires that control the left switch assembly? Have you opened the headlight bucket or worked with the wires behind the fork cowl?

The following users liked this post:
ArdyBoone (04-10-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:21 AM
ArdyBoone
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Ardy, welcome to the forum from central Texas.

It seems something is amiss with your light switch. This is how it should work in the stock configuration.
  • The upper setting is high beam on
  • The middle setting is low beam on
  • The lower setting is to "flash" the high beam. When pressed, the high beam illuminates. When released it returns to the middle setting (low beam)
  • When the high beam is turned on, the auxiliary lamps will turn off. In other words, the auxiliary lamps only work with the low beam. This can be changed so the auxiliary lamps work independently of the low/high beam by rewiring the circuit or using a HD harness, part number 69200442.
When you press the lower position and release it, does it automatically move back to the middle position? If not, the switch itself may be bad. The bad news is that you cannot replace only one switch, you have to replace the entire switch assembly. Was it working as I described at one time and now it isn't?

Other questions:
Are you the original owner? If not, did you just purchase this bike and noticed this or have you owned the bike for a while and this is something new? Have you done any repairs or changes requiring you to open the left switch housing or working with wires that control the left switch assembly? Have you opened the headlight bucket or worked with the wires behind the fork cowl?
Thanks Doc! That's how I thought it was supposed to work. Long story short, this bike is new to me (I'm the 2nd owner). I don't know if it ever worked before. I just installed 14" Apes using the plug in play wire extensions. So, either my wiring harness is faulty or my switch is bad. I think I'll test it by removing the wire extension and see if that changes anything. I'll let you know how everything goes. Again, thank you for helping me understand how the switch is supposed to work

Old 04-07-2024, 12:32 PM
ArdyBoone
5th Gear

Well..... I removed the wire extension and it still doesn't work correctly. So now I need to find the entire switch assembly.

I been searching online and can't seem be able to locate a switch assembly that looks like mine. And the part manual is no help.

Any help finding this part would be much appreciated for a 2012 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic).

Thanks
Ardy

Old 04-07-2024, 03:04 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,628 Likes on 1,532 Posts

I don't have a Softail. My 2018 Touring model has the same symbols on the switch to indicate high beam, low beam, flash to pass.

There is no physical detent to indicate the switch is in the middle between high and low. Press the top for high beam. Press the bottom for low beam. Press and hold the bottom for high beam. Release the bottom to return to low beam.

ArdyBoone (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:11 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Ardy, if the auxiliary lights don't turn off when the high beam is on then the wiring to the lights is not stock regardless of the switch issue. Perhaps the function of your light switch changed at the time the wiring was changed.

Your upper position works as it should. It's the middle and lower position that are reversed. The middle should be low beam and the lower position the high beam. Before purchasing a switch assembly, it may be worth pulling the existing assembly and seeing if the wires to the middle and lower positions are crossed.

Should you resort to purchasing a new switch assembly, it is Harley part number 72949-12. HD price is $324.52. You cannot purchase it online from HD. It must be purchased from your dealer. You may be able to find it on eBay or other online vendors.

Keep us posted on the status of your situation. Good luck.

Boog

ArdyBoone (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:44 PM
Hog Augie
Advanced
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

I have a 2011 softail heritage and my switch looks like this showing same for 2012
2012 Harley FLD Dyna Switchback Left Turn Signal Blinker Control Switch 72949-12 | eBay
has same part number

ArdyBoone (04-10-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 07:26 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

I'm still not sure you're grasping how the switches and circuits work.

That high/low beam switch does not directly control the auxiliary lights. It's a headlight switch that "clicks" into the up position for high beams. It "clicks" into the down position down for low beams. In the low beam position, if you push it it will flash on the high beams, for passing, as long as you are pushing it.

The auxiliary lights are controlled by the left turn signal switch. The right hand side of that switch turns the auxiliary lights on and off. Push it to turn them on, push again to turn them off. Whatever setting you use, it holds it in the computer and will do it however many times you turn the bike off and on.

However, the auxiliary lights normally only work when the headlight is in the low beam position. Just like how cars with factory fog lights only work when the headlights are in the low beam position. High beam turns them off.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:05 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I'm still not sure you're grasping how the switches and circuits work.

That high/low beam switch does not directly control the auxiliary lights. It's a headlight switch that "clicks" into the up position for high beams. It "clicks" into the down position down for low beams. In the low beam position, if you push it it will flash on the high beams, for passing, as long as you are pushing it.

The auxiliary lights are controlled by the left turn signal switch. The right hand side of that switch turns the auxiliary lights on and off. Push it to turn them on, push again to turn them off. Whatever setting you use, it holds it in the computer and will do it however many times you turn the bike off and on.

However, the auxiliary lights normally only work when the headlight is in the low beam position. Just like how cars with factory fog lights only work when the headlights are in the low beam position. High beam turns them off.
The auxiliary lights are not controlled by the left turn signal switch. It has its own SPST switch on the left fork cowl. Unless it has changed in recent years this is how it was in 2012.

This is mine. I changed the stock switch to a lighted one.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:35 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

Doh!
For some reason I was thinking on the other side of 2018.
My mistake and apologies.

Bone Doc (04-08-2024)

Quick Reply: 2012 Heritage Light Switch