Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front axle cover problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM
crazytrain1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front axle cover problem

&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I just bought new axle covers for the front of my 07 nightrain. The set screw is too short so i went to the local hardware store but seem to experience a little problem. The bigger screw does work well but the cover is so big that it moves up and down as well as side to side. In order for the cover to sit flush i need to fill the extra space on the inside of the cover so it does not move but still able to get the cover off if need be. I was thinking of taking up the space with plumbers putty????not too &nbsp\\;hard but able to settle enough for me to tighten down the screw flush with the forks.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Any info on what would work would be greatly appreciated..

Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: front axle cover problem

ORIGINAL: crazytrain1

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I just bought new axle covers for the front of my 07 nightrain. The set screw is too short so i went to the local hardware store but seem to experience a little problem. The bigger screw does work well but the cover is so big that it moves up and down as well as side to side. In order for the cover to sit flush i need to fill the extra space on the inside of the cover so it does not move but still able to get the cover off if need be. I was thinking of taking up the space with plumbers putty????not too &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;hard but able to settle enough for me to tighten down the screw flush with the forks.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\ \\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Any info on what would work would be greatly appreciated..
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
regarding the moco axle covers...
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
they should have come with two different length set screws. the short one is for the cover you put on the axle (round)&nbsp\\;side. the longer one for the cover you put on the nut side. maybe you mixed them up and have already used the longer one on the wrong side? if its a moco cover kit and you didnt get the two different length set screws, go back to see your dealer?