Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th gear noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know...maybe I am used to it...or the fact that "it is a Harley" and it's supposed to be noisy!! With my rineharts, I don't really seem to notice it!!

I am going to try the heavier gear oil, because she does clunk when shifting and finding neutral easier would be a plus!!

...45 MPH in 5th gear seems like your lugging it??...That's like 55 or 60 mph in 6th gear...the tranny doesn't appreciate that much!!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer

Originally Posted by FXDSE2
I took aLL the suggestions from the threads on this topic (5TH fear noise in my 2007 Softail Heritage) and went to my HD dealer. They said that none of the suggestions would really solve my problem and would probably spend $$$$ and end up with the same situation. OK, I will take them at their word since they are turning away money.

I have 2 choices and am asking for your opinions...1. Spend the bucks and have a 7 speed tranny with all cross-cut gears put in...probably $1600 or more OR 2. trading in the bike for a new one...probably a $6000 loss and losing all my upgrades.

Economically the tranny exchange would be the best bet by far from a financial standpoint but the money is not my primary concern. What would you do? FXDSE2
FWIW - I have an '08 Heritage Softail and have whine in every gear - I have about 1200 miles on it and it has quieted down a little bit.

I plan on asking for syntehetics when I bring it in for the 1000 mile maintenance.

Regards

Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 PM
soundman
Road Captain

My 08 Ultra had a terrible 5th gear whine. It used to drive me crazy. At the 1k service all the fluids were switched to synthetics. My dealer recommended Bel Ray for the tranny. It did make it a touch quieter. I now have 3800 miles on the bike and the whine is much quieter. The slight whine it has now actually helps me to know when I'm in 5th, so it's cool.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:11 AM
JacksPilot
Cruiser

Tell me more about his new SE sprocket. My bike has a soft 5th gear wine which I love but it sometimes has a very loud clank, more like a handfull of marbles in the primary. That drives me nuts. Sometimes it sounds like a sewing machine, and sometime it sounds like a dump truck.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Barberg
Cruiser

I t is normal. Switch to synthetic oil and that will quiet it down some.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:24 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You might also try adjusting the clutch cable, mine did something like that because the clutch was dragging a little once it heated up. But a little tightening (lengthening) of the clutch cable seems to have reduced it to only occasionally happening. Like when I don't wait long enough for the input side of the tranny to stop spinning before dropping it into first.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 AM
FXDSE2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softail 5th Gear Noise and Red Line Synthetic

Well, after putting in Red Line 75/145 Synthetic into the Tranny and with about 1,000 miles to test it out...the 5th gear noise has bit the dust when the bike is over 2100 rpm's...the whole bike sounds totally different, hear more of the sweet pipes throaty roar. Gears still klunk when shifting (thank you HD developers) and the tranny definitely shifts smoother. $12 for a solution to a problem is a deal. Even went out and bought a Motorcycle Jack I was so happy!!! FXDSE2

Attached Thumbnails 5th gear noise-blueridge.jpg  
Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Fats4life
Cruiser

In the old forum there was alot of talk on this. Other than the Fatboy because of the new back wider tire there is a fix. Can't remember the term that was used but replacing the rear pully with rubber bushings like the metric bikes have from factory. Thought it was IDS or someting close to it. Anybody else remember what it was?

Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Fats4life
Cruiser

do a search on transmision noise.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:21 PM
danny
Novice

Search "2007 Tranny Problem".There are over 2600 comments on this subect.Makes for good reading if you have the time.

Quick Reply: 5th gear noise