Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do I need a Load Equalizer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LED lights have less resistants then incandescent therefore more "power" gets to them making them flash faster than normal.. This is the same case in vehicles. Therefore requiring an equalizer to "create" resistance.. Many mods can be done to the flasher to creat the same effect as the equalizer but that is beyond my scope.. my .02

Old 09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
wingnutt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyn
As I understand it the turn signal requires a certain amount of power draw to work properly. LED's I think draw less power causing the erratic or non-functionality of the turn signals. The equalizer makes the system think you are running standard incandescent bulbs.
Exactly, I replaced all my bulbs with LEDs. Signals all flashed fast until I installed the Load equalizer. The one I got was a simple plug and play install. I think it was a Kuryakyn product.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:12 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
You are obviously using a different type equalizer from what I have, but that wire is pin 1 on the 8-pin TSM/TSSM connector under the seat. You can also tap into it at the fusebox pins I-J (Battery fuse).
My TSSM is behind the mudflap; that's why I was hoping the find the brown wire w/gray stripe somewhere under my seat.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even though they are the same year, it sounds like my California version is slightly different from yours (maybe because we have the charcoal canister down by the TSM?). In any event, you can tap into it at the feed for the battery fuse as I stated earlier - that is definitely under your seat.

I worse comes to worst (like if you need access to other connectons at the TSM), it is much easier to get to the TSM than the service manual describes. Just get the bike on a lift and use a swivel socket to remove the single bolt securing the splash guard. Unsnap it at the top from the swingarm and then just slide it up into the fender temporarily - a 2 minute job.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:35 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 PM
HD F250
Intermediate

Like others have already posted, as I understand it the TSSM needs to see a certain amount of current dram to recognize the signals are working. Not that it will change anything since you already bought an equalizer, Biketronics makes one that is plug and play.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 03 I had to pull the battery to locate theTSSM wire.It was in a bundle at the bottom back edge of the battery box.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:22 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Installed the Badlands Load Equalizer yesterday...thanks to all!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:47 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain

Will there be any damage if I dont use a load equalizer? I have LED bulbs front and rear and I dont really mind the rapid flashing. I know that if I do need it I will have to get one for each pair of lights. Thanks guys

Old 09-08-2008, 03:42 PM
05Harley
Cruiser

I could not find the wire either, had to have the dealer install it. Looks to me like the wire is run from under the bike somewhere.

Quick Reply: Why do I need a Load Equalizer?