Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 FXSTC - starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts
Default 08 FXSTC - starting issues

Sometimes I have a problem starting my bike when it's warm. Even though the manual says not to, I end up having to give it some throttle in order to get it to catch. Has anyone else ever had this problem, or heard about it, and know of a solution?

TIA

Old 11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you turn the switch do you wait for the pump to pressurize? (that whirling noise to stop)

Old 11-28-2008, 04:37 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Besides pressurizing the fuel lines, the bike also goes into self-diagnostic check after turning on the ignition. Is the engine light off before staring? Check for trouble codes, also, write them down, then clear them, and start the bike and run for 10-seconds then shut down. Do any trouble codes reappear? Could be an IAC step problem. Check by removing air filter and, while turning the ignition on without starting, watch the IAC pintle to lower and retract then set into starting position.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had my 2005 SE Fat Boy, with the 103" engine for a little over 2 years. Normally when I start it, when the engine is cold or hot, it is instantaneous. It fires up so fast you don't hear the starter. Once in awhile maybe after 15 or 20 very easy/fast startups, I experience a slow start. By a slow start I mean it may crank for 3 seconds. Which seems like a long time when you are use to it starting immediately. At first it concerned me, now when it happens, I turn the ignition off and back on (don't know if that helps anything) then when I hit the starter, it fires right away. It has never happened when the engine is cold. It always fires up easy on the second start. Maybe the fuel momentarily vapor locks from the hot engine.
Tom

Old 11-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Possibility for vapor lock. Only on a hot engine. Didn't do it when I first got the bike, and is prggressively getting worse. Fires up if I give it gas.

No trouble codes. And yes, I wait for the lights to go out, ad nauseum. This is my third injected bike, and the only one that ever had this problem. I will point it out to them when I take it in for the 5000 mile service next month.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 AM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Possibility for vapor lock. Only on a hot engine. Didn't do it when I first got the bike, and is prggressively getting worse. Fires up if I give it gas.

No trouble codes. And yes, I wait for the lights to go out, ad nauseum. This is my third injected bike, and the only one that ever had this problem. I will point it out to them when I take it in for the 5000 mile service next month.
Is the bike stock or Stage I ?

jim

Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Bone stock. Only engine add-on is an oil cooler.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 PM
mulch63
Road Master

Bone stock. Only engine add-on is an oil cooler.
Well I have an 2008 and recall it starting a bit hard when hot also. The first thing I did to my bike was add a fuel management device. An inexpensive Revtec DFO. It helped with starting and throttle response. My advice to you is start there. They run way too lean without something. Need more fuel. Even if thats not YOUR issue, it won't hurt.

jim

Old 11-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Might talk me into the stage one kit from Harley and some IEDs. But beyond that, too much trouble, as I never know where I am going to end up, and this EPA BS has got me slightly worried. 1000 dollar tickets I do not need.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 AM
mulch63
Road Master

Might talk me into the stage one kit from Harley and some IEDs. But beyond that, too much trouble, as I never know where I am going to end up, and this EPA BS has got me slightly worried. 1000 dollar tickets I do not need.
Well if your short on cash try the IEDS before anything else. That is if that is recommended. I didn't do much reading on the IEDS.

jim

Quick Reply: 08 FXSTC - starting issues