Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Brake Calipers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Aftermarket Brake Calipers...

Do the aftermarked calipers like the PM calipers work a lot better than the OEM calipers? I notice my rear wheel locks up A LOT easier than my previous bike did. I was riding yesterday and had to apply the brake rather briskly and she locked up and tried to get out from under me. Lucky for me I was bullrider in my earlier years (not joking) so I stayed in the saddle.

Also, since I am looking at new wheels, like the DNA mammoths, does the additional weight of the wheels affect stopping with the OEM brakes, thus making aftermarked calipers (6 piston vs. 4 piston) more necessary.

thanks

Old 12-20-2008, 11:22 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I rarely use my rear brake. I find that the PM stops this large heavy bike quite well. I have the 6 piston on the front. I do not have anything to compare to as the calipers were on the bike when I bought it. But I will tell you when I ride the wife's Sportster I am amazed that anyone can even stop on that thing with those caliper's on there. Her bike is a 2005 so it probably has a similar caliper to your bike WARG. I find brakes to be the second most important feature on a bike only to the tires.

The PM's are pricey (one of the main resons I bought my bike) but I think they are well worth the peace of mind. OF course this all depends on how you ride. But...we all know sometimes unexpected things sometimes happen when you are riding your bike.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm wondering this myself, new calipers will be my next move.

you running stock calipers on your scoot?

I would imagine that the aftermarket calipers might be somewhat more powerful then the stock ones....i guess it all depends on which ones you go with

Old 12-20-2008, 11:56 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Alain
i'm wondering this myself, new calipers will be my next move.

you running stock calipers on your scoot?

I would imagine that the aftermarket calipers might be somewhat more powerful then the stock ones....i guess it all depends on which ones you go with

Yep, running the OEM calipers. I think they are 4 piston if I remember correctly. I would like to go with some 6 piston but they pricey. But, I like stopping too, so I don't know what I wil do yet. Gotta get the wheels first.

anubisss, are you bars 16"?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you dont want rear tire skid get metzler and it will stop so fast you will need to let up so you dont go over the handlebar

Old 12-21-2008, 09:15 AM
willyp
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

went from stock 2 piston to PM 4 piston calipers. noticed a big difference in braking performance. they were way out of my price range but i found a polished set complete with mounts on bay for $500. ordered caliper rebuild kits from PM and had them powder coated to match the rest of my bike. you can find good deals if you search around.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
I rarely use my rear brake. I find that the PM stops this large heavy bike quite well.
You just don't want to clean up brake dust on the rear wheel.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:59 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by willyp
went from stock 2 piston to PM 4 piston calipers. noticed a big difference in braking performance. they were way out of my price range but i found a polished set complete with mounts on bay for $500. ordered caliper rebuild kits from PM and had them powder coated to match the rest of my bike. you can find good deals if you search around.

I would love to find a deal like that. I would perfer black powdercoat anyway b/c I am adding chrome rotors and wheels. I will have to look around. thanks

Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

In order to convince the better helf, jsut tell her it's your life in your ahnds and she want's you around, doesn't she.

Mr. Lucky You just don't want to clean up brake dust on the rear wheel.

As far as that is concerned you may be right, but I got a set of lyndall's to put in when I swap the wheels. That eliminates the brake dust...I do hate the cleaning of the machine.

Last edited by anubisss; 12-21-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely worth the money. 2 things I wont go cheap on is tires and brakes. The PM calipers are a hell of a lot better than stock. I went with all PM components and wouldn't change them for anything.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Brake Calipers...