Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got my pipes on,......

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:26 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default got my pipes on,...... *PIC ADDED*

Well,.... I spent yesterday morning installing a set of Hooker Troublemakers and a HD S/E a/c, and a new Power Commander V. Figured I would give a run down of how the process went for those who might be doing it pretty soon. Installing the exhaust was pretty simple and straight forward, it actually took more time removing the old exhaust than putting on the new Troublemakers. The Power Commander V wasnt too difficult to install either, but I took some advise from my local dealers' service manager and I wrapped the plug from the PCV to the wire harness with waterproof rubber tape and then loosened the rear fender and slid in in front of the splash guard behind the engine since on the 09 Fatboys it would fit in the seat pan area as it showed in the instructions. I then installed the a/c and it was a breeze, which I have done on 4 Harleys now.

The results:,..................
The looks and sound of the Troublemakers is awesome. Its has a deep rumble and sounds very similar to my Rineharts thats on my Ultra, but a lil louder, but that should be expected from such a short pipe. The PCV works great and the combination of the a/c, exhaust and PCV, really woke up the engine. Its now responsive and starts easily, and sounds great. Its like it just took a big shot of testosterone.
I'm now making up my order list of my chrome goodies from Zanottis.
I'll add a few pics on here since i've seen several posts asking about Troublemakers. Also I got them at Hookerpipes.com for appx $362

Last edited by jmbear328; 02-06-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 AM
bL33d
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics??

I too put troublemakers on my bike yesterday along with a bullet headlight i'll post some pics later today.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:12 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is worthless without pics

Old 02-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

lol, yeah, how can you start a thread like this with no pics. lol lol

congrats man.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
tonov12
Cruiser

That's cool! I just ordered the same exact setup for my Fatboy. Looking forward to seeing pics. I'm not that mechanically inclined but I'd really like to learn. I'm thinking about taking this little project on to just get a feel for it. It sounds like it's not too terrible, so I might do it. Keep us updated on how she runs and stuff!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

..........Where R DUH PIX

Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

They look good.......IF I COULD ONLY SEE THEM!

Attached Thumbnails got my pipes on,......-this-thread-is-useless-without-pictures.jpg  
Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 AM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

proof wheres your proof...pics are needed ...lol...story is a good one but no good without pics for us that can't read

Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM
tonov12
Cruiser

Hey bear, did you get the PCV pre-mapped for your setup or did you have to set it after install? Is there any noticeable effects on the power after install? Thanks! Can't wait to get my stuff now

Old 02-06-2009, 05:39 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OK here is the first pic

I took this with my phone so the quality isnt too good but i'll post a few more in the morning.

tonov12,

I downloaded one of the maps from the Power Commander V website. It wasnt an exact match for my setup but was pretty close and it runs great.

*UPDATE*
I was on a lil ride today and my engine started cutting out and then backfired and left me stranded on the side of the road. After getting it to the closest dealer we found what the problem was. It appears that the dealer who I bought my PCV from who suggested that I wrap the ECM/PCV connector in waterproof tape and stick it just outside of the inner fender flap under the seat area,... WAS WRONG! That was a terrible place to put the cable. I hit a bump and the swing arm pinched the wire harness and cut a wire which shut the bike down. The solution was to remove the top fuse box cover and place the PCV-ECM cable connection on top of the fusebox and velcro the ECM on the fender at the PCV recommended spot. Was a lil setback but I figured I would pass this on. So for any of you doing the PCV on an 09 Fatboy,.... The instructions method wont fit under the seat and my 1st dealers suggestion wont work, but I will take some pics with my camera in the morning and will post them showing the safe method of mounting it that WILL work.

Attached Thumbnails got my pipes on,......-20424dc4ac81-2-.jpg  

Last edited by jmbear328; 02-06-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: got my pipes on,......