Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Rear tire replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM
heritageclassic07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Rear tire replacement

I need to replace my rear tire for the first time on my 2007 heritage classic, the dealer wants $300 plus to replace it, $180 for the tire $30 for the tube and $3 for some other thing he mentioned that i dont know what the part was. plus $99 bucks in labor to replace it all. i need recommendations on what to do, where to but a good tire and tube and whatever i might need to do it myself. is it something i can do myself? any tips or recomendations. What tires you guys are running? anything that might be helpful.
Thanks

Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not easy, that's all I know. A good indy should be able to do it for at least a third less. I never use the dealership for service. I haven't looked but if you have the service manual it should be in there.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It is easy. Take the wheel off and take it to an indy to have the tire mounted and balanced. You could always buy your tire online and save some dough there too. I get mine at american moto tire . com

Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 PM
heritageclassic07
Cruiser

I was just at the dealer to get some warranty work done, that was the only reason i had them give me a quote. I am not a big fan of having the dealership do anything other than warranty work.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
heritageclassic07
Cruiser

thanks forthe quck replys.... i just gotta say that i dont post here alot but i do read alot, i just hav to say that Anubiss your bike is awesome it has been great watching allthe progress with the bike it truly is a awesome machine, and our posts and replys are always informative, so keep up the good work

Old 04-28-2009, 08:57 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Recent thread on the subject:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...e-classic.html

Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Bluetick
Intermediate

Originally Posted by heritageclassic07
I need to replace my rear tire for the first time on my 2007 heritage classic, the dealer wants $300 plus to replace it, $180 for the tire $30 for the tube and $3 for some other thing he mentioned that i dont know what the part was. plus $99 bucks in labor to replace it all. i need recommendations on what to do, where to but a good tire and tube and whatever i might need to do it myself. is it something i can do myself? any tips or recomendations. What tires you guys are running? anything that might be helpful.
Thanks
I just had both the front and rear tires on my '08 FLSTC replaced with a set of Metzler's and I took it to a small custom shop, and it cost $490 for for both tires, tubes, balance and installation.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought two metzlers WWW from American Moto Tire for 319 shipped to my house. My indy mounted my front tire for 37 dollars. That was a carry in. You would be better off pulling the wheels yourself and carry in. As soon as I get finished putting on my chrome front end the back one is going in for it's change....

Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Where are you at? There is a local indy that I use to order my tires and then if I take the wheel to him he charges $20 to change it and balance it. The indy I use is actually a motorcycle salvage yard that has the big books for ordering anything bike related. Do some investigating locally and try to find a shop that wants your business. It doesn't need to be a Harley related shop to get the parts you need.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Taking the wheels off is not difficult. You will need a lift though. Many years ago a friend came over, took my wheels off for me and taught me the basics of keeping my bikes in good running order. For that I am grateful.

It will always be much less expensive to take the wheel in and have the tires mounted. I would bet that $490 for both from the stealer will drop to around $300 or so...

Quick Reply: Heritage Rear tire replacement