Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deceleration whine

Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Nowonthetee
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Deceleration whine

I have a 2001 Fat boy carbureted with 29k miles, screaming eagle kit and Vance and Hines pipes, runs and idles like a champ. Now on deceleration the bike makes a whining noise in gear while backing off the throttle coasting to a stop. Running Amsoil lube, it sounds much like a turbo whine slowing down, very faint. Also is there scheduled maintenance at 30k other than engine oil change.Thanks for your input.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

It sounds like you need a service manual. It lists all the necessary services and when they are scheduled. Since you don't have one and mine is right here...Lube steering head bearings at 30K, replace plugs, inspect and lubricate cables, lube jiffy stand and inspect everything else. Change oil, filter, primary, tranny. Inspect all critical fasteners and belt, brake pads...etc.

Welcome as well.

Checking your belt tension and primary chain are the two things that come to mind for me. Let us know what you find out. Do you get the gear while coasting to a stop in neutral?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Nowonthetee
2nd Gear
Default Thanks for the reply.

Coasting but not in neutrul, in gear slowing to a stop. It's not loud, but that's the best time to catch things. Thanks for you quick post.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

What kind of oil is in your transmission? I use redline shockproof. See if that makes a difference.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Nowonthetee
2nd Gear

Just got the bike, previous owner said amsoil but didn't say which tanks. Just concerned about riding it with the noise if it is a get er done thing now. Brakes and overall service condition is good, just state inspected. Brakes don't squeal or grab, driveablility is very good, I had a 79 Low Rider before ( 19 yrs ago) and this bike is tight.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

In which gears... only 1st?
Mine whines in first from the factory.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Nowonthetee
2nd Gear

No, 2nd gear and so on hard to tell on other gears the bike sounds good lol, and hard to hear it as it is a faint noise. Maybe it nothing but time for a tranny oil change and belt adjustment thanks for your guys responses. I'm clueless at the moment but a fair backyard mechanic and have had several bikes before, clutch is good just seems to be a tranny noise but very faint. Noticed it more with an extra rider last night.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Eagerquest
4th Gear

I had a soft tail that would whine on deceleration. Found out that it was the belt. When I was on the gas it held torque on the belt, thus keeping it tight. When off the gas, the belt was allowed to run without torque (obviously) and would wobble and create a whining or whistling noise....just a thought.
Also check for proper belt aliment, if it's a little loose and can wobble, it might be rubbing on something also.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Did anyone find a answer.. my 08 touring is starting this. Haven't found the Problem yet.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:51 AM
dylan199
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric Moore
Did anyone find a answer.. my 08 touring is starting this. Haven't found the Problem yet.
Check your belt drive tension.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deceleration whine