Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic changes between '03-'09

Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Dach
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Classic changes between '03-'09

I'm trying to find a reliable source or history of the changes to each model year for the Heritage Classic between 2003 and 2009. Doing this to target my next purchase to a particular year and don't want to miss the "can't live without" feature. Reading scattered entries regarding differences in cosmetics (studs, tassels, bars...) and performance (EFI, cc increase, suspension...) during this period. Any help in summarizing or link to "official" listing would be appreciated.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Duecesx2
Cruiser

l'll start this. In 2009 there are new mini ape handlebars and a whole new cateye dash console.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:40 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,785 Likes on 1,670 Posts

To list a few....the dash has been changed, as have the saddlebags. In 2007, the engine went from 88cid to 96cid. different paint scheme on the two tone. As Deucesx2 said, the handlebars. No more carbureted bikes, and I'm sure there are other changes, but I don't know what they are.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Lower windshield now.. Better rear seat now ... These are on the 2009 Heritage.

Like said already. bars like on ST BOB .

Old 07-14-2009, 09:36 AM
BlackRob
Tourer

For 2009 they took all the stuff they designed for the Cross Bones and put it on the Heritage: higher bars, cat's eye dash, half moon footboards, etc.

If you are looking for a particular year the 2007-09s are the best with the 6 speed transmission, 96 inch motor, 25 degree injectors, improved heads, and fuel injection with oxygen sensors. This is coming from a guy who bought a 2006. You will probably find the older models very cheap now though. Mine dropped in value like a cinder block when the 2007 improvements came out.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:00 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Don't forget about the addition of the 6 speed in 2007. The 2009's also have the half moon floorboards and a different pattern of studs on the bags. There are far more studs on the 09 bags. The tank emblem was changed this year. I don't know about the tire sizes. I prefer the 02-06 model's as that is what I have right now.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think in the case of Harley Davidson's, Triumphs, BMW's and Indians and maybe a few others that I cant remember?? You dont need to subscribe to the newer is always better theory.

The 03's are a great bike with the 88" and 5 speed, the 07's are awesome with the 96" and the 6 speed and so forth.

I have ridden the late model bikes with the 96" and the 6 speeds just as I have ridden the older 88" carbed and EFI bikes with cinco speeds and my old bike a few years ago was an old evo powered Heritage.

Call me a retard but in all honesty I liked my old Evo powered Heritage better than the newer ones. It had lots of soul and with a few simple mods was plenty strong as a daily rider. It felt like a bike that would stand the test of time as they all have. It was a bike that was easy to work on in my garge and a bike that is still giving the current owner great joy to this day. For some reason and I dont have a photo as it was pre digital camera age for me its a better looking bike than a new 09...I mean that.

The moral of my silly story is that on these bikes you dont really need to get caught up in the newer is always better as in the case of harley its not always the case.

Dont get me wrong...Offer me a shiny new 09' Vs' an old preloved 97 model and of course I'm gonna ****** up the 09.

But offer me that 97 or an 03' with the change leftover from the cost of that 09?

So say gimme an 03" thats in good shape and a check for say....$10,000?

Which one I would pick wouldnt even be an issue. No doubt I would be on one baddass tricked out 03' Heritage.

Something tells me the guy sitting next to me at a stoplight on a stocker 09' may even be a tad....Envious?

But I'm a weirdo, ride my bike wearing Converse high tops and a pair of baggy dickies with typically greasy hands....So go figure!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:29 PM
athasl
Intermediate

i have a 2004 ,with power comander,screaming eagle intake and bassani 2into1, and it kicks ***. hd had to come up with a bigger engine because of all the smog stuff they added in 2006-2009. the 6 th speed is mostly an over drive.if you take a 96 and clean up the smog it;s a great bike. always remember if you buy a new bike, next year it is the old bike.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
aggiejason
Cruiser
Thumbs up '04 here

I've got an '04 with a Kuryakyn hypercharger, V&H staggered exhaust, and other parts of bling. I really, really like this bike. I do, once in a while, wish it had the 6th gear but oh well. I'm gonna keep on ridin' it like I stole it.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Yeah, the 06 I bought last year had lots of goodies - BSS, stage 1, bags... saved big $$$ and it runs great. A 6 speed would be nice when runnin over 75mph, not necessary though... for $600 a 6 speed Ultima gear set may go in. Have read some good things about the later sets.

One thing is for sure, even later models, 07-09, can be had for thousands less than a new one off the floor.

To answer your question:

06+ have the better heads, easy clutch
07+ have 6 speed, 96" and better cam plate/tensioner system. Understand though that stock 88" will keep up with a stock 96". The 96 has the same size pistons and jugs, just a longer stroke that not everyone likes and runs leaner.

Last edited by KumaRide; 07-14-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heritage Classic changes between '03-'09