Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer, Heritage or Fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 01:37 AM
Angry_Inch
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer, Heritage or Fatboy?

I am gathering info- what better place to come.

I had my heart on a Springer Softail for years after my neighbor bought one. But my current ride, a Volusia is a nice riding bike. Most of my riding is short distance, but I don't want a ride too harsh on the long trips as my back just won't tolerate it. I like the looks of the Fatboy, and the Heritage as well.

Money NOT being an issue (although it is.. when isn't it??) which sounds right? I like to kick back- stretch out- enjoy.

What are the major differences between the FatBoy and Heritage?

Oh.. let's assume MY 06.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2006, 01:51 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Springer, Heritage or Fatboy?

Physically very lil if any. I like the Fat Boy based on looks. Looks a bit more "meaty" the 06 Heritage look alot like a fat boy, front forks, fender, and lights. Bottom line get what you like best.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Mike05
Tourer

Heritage Classic is about $700.00 base price over the FatBoy but you get spoke wheels, detachable windshield and saddlebags as standard fare. A good set of saddle bags would run as much as $700.00 alone. Another good looking bike is the Springer Classic. All Softail models have the 88B (balanced) engine and comes with carb or EFI. You can't go wrong with any of them ... Just my 2¢ worth ...

Old 05-29-2006, 02:37 PM
GADave
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Angry_Inch

What are the major differences between the FatBoy and Heritage?

Thanks!
Heritage or Heritage Classic? Gotta ask now with the re-intro of the Heritage for '06. Heritage is about 2K less than Heritage Classic, most of that 2K is in Std. accessories. But, the Heritage has the silver motor - Heritage Classic & FatBoy have the black motor - makes for a very different look. Which one you like is personal preference, I prefer the black.

All 3 are basically the same bike FLST## (Softail in FL clothes). Too many differences for us to point out in a post - all being minor cosmetic and matters of personal taste. for '06 you have the option of getting the Heritage and using the extra 2K you'd have spent on the Heritage Classic or FatBoy to customize with.

I'd suggest studying H-D's web site, finding out what's your personal preference and what the difference in price is buying you from a Heritage to FatBoy to Heritage Classic. Then go sit on them. Just sitting on them can give you a good idea of which fits you best (stock seat & handlebars are different on all 3). Personally, I don't enjoy mechanical work and am not interested in juicin' the motor so I wouldn't even consider a carburated model, Injection is the only way to go for me.

Take money out of the picture and this is 100% a matter of personal taste. We can't tell you what you like, as for me... you can see what I'm drivin' .

Dave

Old 05-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

SPRINGER CLASSIC.....love the old style look, the way it rides and the folks who comment on it!!!!

Old 05-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Kid N8
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My preference: Heritage Classic. The bags are standard and answer the question that everyone will ask about "how am I gonna carry anything." I've got my sissy bar on the quick release system. I also wanted the spoke wheels-- although I've never owned one, I've heard comments from Fatboy owners about having to deal with the wind as it hits those solid wheels.

. . . the choice is yours.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Angry_Inch
Road Master

The Heritage Classic sounds like what I want. I absolutely need bags, as I use my ride everyday, even shopping. I thought I would take mine on and off as needed, but haven't taken them off yet. And a windshield is a must as well since I will be riding in chilly weather.

Wheels- here's a question. Are the spoked wheels tubeless? Very important to me.. I really don't wanna get caught with a nail - and a tube.

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Angry_Inch
Road Master

Another question.

I really prefer the look of the longer front ends, like the Night Train, Deuce, etc as opposed to the standard style of the Heritage. Does this front end compromise much comfort?

Old 05-29-2006, 08:57 PM
GADave
Road Master

Laced (spoked) wheels are not tubeless... at least not the std. ones on a Heritage Classic.

Don't quite understand your question about the front ends, the feel is different from one to the other. Just as you might think the FL front end feels heavier, but I think more stable especially at higher speed. Again, "comfort" is a personal thing. Know folks who swear by both. To me, the lighter front end seems to transfer more vibration to the hands.

Regards,

Dave
2004 FLSTCI

Old 05-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my Springer Classic last August. It's a great bike and has a comfortable ride. If you're going to do longer runs I think the springer Classic is better then the FX Springer because it just looks better with bags mounted and it loads up nicely. Might even feel more balanced with the wide front tire. Of course this is just my opinion. I love springers myself and like both the Classic and FX. But because of the long trips I went with the Classic. No regrets.

Quick Reply: Springer, Heritage or Fatboy?