Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:41 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Heritage Classic

Need some additional input from you guys/gals. I'm looking at getting a 2003 100th anniversary Heritage Classic. Reasonable price that can be negotiated (according to the seller). Here's the latest email that I received. I've already got some info from a member here on our Forums (via email) stating "co-owner" may be a lien holder. Tell me what you think:

/Quote
Brian,

I did not get the extended warranty from Harley. I have a co-owner on the bike. Back in December they laid the bike down to avoid a serious accident. The front fender was dented, the engine guard and leather seat and saddle bags scratched. The Harley dealer did all the repair and replacement work on all the parts that were scratched. They have certified the bike is in better shape than when it came off the showroom floor. The leather seat and bags have also been replaced. The bike is like brand new with no mechanical issues whatsoever. The bike has also been certified by Car Fax and I have the certification from them.

I don't know many people that have not laid a bike down at some point or other. I guarantee that when you see the bike, you will be completely satisfied. The bike is perfect.
/Unquote

Here's a pic:

[IMG]local://upfiles/12661/758A7A08D2F443CC933C2FD8E0767EB2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-23-2006, 08:41 PM
nutsy
Tourer
Default RE: Used Heritage Classic

ive been riding street bikes over 30 years and knock on wood never laid 1 down. came close a thousand times but managed to avoid. as far as better than new i cant see how thats possible. do your homework and be careful. good luck, nutsy.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:44 PM
GADave
Road Master

Hey Brian -

If you're asking if I'd buy a bike that's been laid down... sure, especially if the seller is upfront about it and they provide you with receipts from the Harley Dealer that did the repairs. Make sure the seller puts their money where there mouth is and provides you written certifications that they talk about. Also, if the certification from the Dealer is not recent, make your sale contingent on passing an inspection by a dealer you choose and pay the $50 - $100 bucks to get the bike certified. Cosmetic things can easily be replaced and, as the seller states, be as good as new.

I'd be a little leary of the co-owner. Most likely it's a spouse or family member. Demand that the co-owner be present to sign title and, for your protection, have it notarized. If the seller isn't willing to do this, they maybe trying to sell it out from under another person. Especially in a divorce/separation situation and you don't wanna get your money tied up in a mess like that. The co-owner most likely is not a financial institution as they'd be listed as a lein holder, not a co-owner.

Good luck, it's a nice lookin' bike!

Dave from Georgia

Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

Yea, I'm thinking the "co-owner" may be a family member or spouse since the email contains /quote/I have a co-owner on the bike. Back in December they laid the bike down to avoid a serious accident./unquote/ Good advice. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2006, 10:31 PM
BerettaMan
Intermediate

If the bike was laid down I would not purchase it. The price may be right and the cosmetics may have been fixed but the fork and / or frame could be tweeked. You get what you pay for. Just my .02

Old 06-29-2006, 11:58 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

hey at least this guy is honest about it. didn't have to even mention that wee little bit. I'd say if he's honest about it being laid down chances are he's pretty straight to deal with. I'd scoop it up in a second if it's really what I wanted. I mean jeez if the bike is perfect why even bother tellin anybody it ever got laid down? sounds like a straight shooter, but hey that's just after readin a couple of lines.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:41 AM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey Brian,
The big question you need to ask is: Clear or SALVAGE title.
Alot of times, people tell you up front about accidents, so when they do mention the word salvage...well they can bring back up that they told you about it, and "it was minor...just a few scratches hear and there...everything is perfect now.." And I love this line..."It looks better and in better condition than when it was on the showroom"~~~~>right!![sm=nono.gif]
In my opinion, I wouldn't even thing about it! To many questions and wonders this early on...
And if the price is too good to be true~~> it is!!!
[sm=badidea.gif]

P.S. I've never laid a bike down (knock on wood)!! [