Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:55 AM
mke125125
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer problem?

We had some really nice weather yesterday and I was able to get some riding in. while I was going down the highway doin 55-60mph I noticed my speedo needle kinda jumpin around. do I need to take something apart and clean it? if so what? the bike is an 07 deluxe.

Last edited by mke125125; 11-09-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:12 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might be the speed sensor. Mine did the same every now and than it would jump around. But also it threw a code did a search on here and changed the speed sensor like $60 from marley been working so far.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rickb
Might be the speed sensor. Mine did the same every now and than it would jump around. But also it threw a code did a search on here and changed the speed sensor like $60 from marley been working so far.
I agree and they do do that. They say the new ones are better

Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine has done that from new and the dealer said he never saw it happen. i just live with it,

Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 PM
vulcanater
Road Captain

Mine has just started acting up too. Except mine will like hang up and the odometer goes blank. I can turn ignition off and right back on and it starts working. Mine's on a 2000 Night train. I haven't had a chance to try to see what's wrong with it yet.

Chop On,
Robert

Old 04-22-2012, 02:55 PM
niich
Stage I
Default speedo softail

Ok... I have a long post because I had a series of problems that not even the Harley Mechanic could figure out. And the solution was simple... Hopefully you wont spend as much money as I did, fixing the wrong stuff... Here we go.

I had the speedo sticking... everything going blank... Thought it was the sensor. Replaced it... Still had the same problem. Then all of a sudden every once in a while I would be cruising down the highway and I would lose some power and the engine light would come on. If I goosed the gas a little bit, it would kick back in and work fine for a few miles. I checked the carb, the wires, filters, Everything......Went to Harley.. Had them check it out.. They couldn't tell me what the problem was. Then I decided to take the council off the tank, and take the ignition switch apart... I took off the locking ring, took out all the springs wiped off all the conductive grease.... took a dremel tool with a wire brush attachment, cleaned every connection point, spring, pin, EVERYTHING... put new conductive grease on, and now everything works PERFECT... it seems that there was just some corrosion on the little plates in the switch... I spent Hundreds trying to fix something that actually only cost three bucks and about half an hour of my time.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is jumpy and annoying as can be. I have an 08 deluxe and it has always done it. Not all the time, but often enough. Had dealership replace speedo. Was good for a bit, the. Back to to jumpy. Had my indie replace speedo sensor. Also good for a bit then it started happening again. Getting a new speedo in a couple of days. I bet the next one will do the same. It's so effing annoying but there isn't much to do to fix it that I haven't already tried. Just one of the quirks I guess. If Anyone figures out how to make it stop, please let me know!!!