Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals - What to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 AM
miketedesco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default True Duals - What to buy...

So, I have posted a few questions on here before about my latest project (which has gotten carried away...) but now I have another one. I am using a Fatboy rear fender and Street Glide hard bags mounted with the cyclevisions kit (or actually my home made copy kit). At this point I should have just sold the softail and bought a damn Street Glide.

I decided I want to go with a set of dual exhaust. The 3 options I have found are Samson, V&H and the old original equipment duals on the Heritage Springers.

Here is my list of wants:
Duals (obviously)
4" mufflers (I know I may have to go smaller, but I dont want less than 3")
Round or Oval with either some kind of straight cut or slash cut ends
Quiet as possible. (I currently have SE-II slip ons and the sound level is perfect
The end of the muffler/tip to come right to the end tip of my Fatboy fender
As high as possible to keep them close to the bags.
To spend as little as possible?

I looked at the Samson SM-172 mufflers with the S-330 head pipes (freaking $1100!). Love the look, but can afford em.
V&H true duals. Mufflers are only 2.5", can I put different slip-ons on them?
Find a set of the old factory duals. Sounds like a great idea, but hate the fishtails. Can I get a set of 4" slip ons for these? Will the Samson SM-172 work on these headpipes?

Thanks in advance and post up any pics of bikes without fishtails and what length/model they are.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
miketedesco
Tourer

Oh yeah, does anyone know the diameter of the stock heritage springer header pipes? I found a set of slip ons for them cheap that I am thinking about picking up, then figuring out header pipes from there. Is there any chance I could use slip ons designed for the V&H or Samson header pipes with Screamin Eagle slip on mufflers?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:17 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I'm planning on installing Bassani True Duals for Softails when I can afford to do so. The cheapest I have found for the header pipes and mufflers is around $850.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 PM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Samson S 430 for the OL's scooter, the mufflers are baffled but sound awsome without being obnoxious

Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 AM
miketedesco
Tourer

I checked into the Bassani's. Appearance wise, they are exactly what I am looking for. They have the step up right behind the tranny just like the touring bikes. They also have 3" slip ons available. Does anyone know if the Screamin Eagle slip ons will fit on the Bassani head pipes? I understand some bracket modification would be necessary. What I am really concerned about is pipe diameter.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:21 AM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have the V&H True Duals. I realize the size is an issue, but I think they look and sound great. Also you mentioned the length, and I don't think they will be as long as you want, unless you get a different muffler for them. They are the straight cut tips though.

You can see mine on my Fat Boy here.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...ms-skully.html

Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i saw a bunch for your bike on ebay from the hooker header store. they are true dual and something you can get cheap and use to make your own custom pipes. they were like 200 and less for the entire pipes

Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 AM
miketedesco
Tourer

TK. Thanks for the info. I checked out Hooker's (Holley Performance) ebay store and didnt see anything about duals. Any chance you could point me in the right direction to these?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Mike, we can get get you whatever you need. I think you need to decide what kind of pipes you want first and we can go from there. We will get you all this at a great price. As far as the sizing on your pipes, you need to makes sure that the slip on's have the same diameter as the duals so they will fit together. that seems rather elementary, but pick what you want and we can help check it all for you. If you have any more in depth questions please feel free to PM us and we will answer. Whatever you do, we sish you luck and want to see pics when it is all said and done.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 516 Posts

Mike, I believe all the duals have the OEM diameter of 1.75" at the headpipe. You can call VH and Samson to verify but I believe any slip on for duals will fit any of these headpipes. Just make sure the slip ons for duals are for Softail and NOT touring.

The cheapest option will probably be to find a set of used Springer pipes and drill a couple of holes in the baffles. Your bike is a 2004 so I would look for 2000-2006 to be safe. I am not sure if the 07 headpipes will work on an 04 since they went to the 96 that year. They probably will but I don't know for sure. The 05-07 Springers did not have fishtails so you could keep the stock mufflers and drill out to your desired sound level. I have attached a pic of an 06 for reference.

If you don't like the way the mufflers look you can always buy a used set of SE mufflers (make sure they are made for duals so they mount) and swap out the end caps.

Here is the Softail Dual headpipe kit to retrofit a springer exhaust on a Fatty:

65056-01

The SE mufflers for Springer duals that have swappable end caps:

65980-97 These are the old SE II mufflers and the most desirable IMHO
65178-05 These are 49 state street legal so they will not be very loud
80464-06 These have cats in them and I would avoid these

They introduced new SE mufflers in 07 for the Springer These are 50 state legal and DO NOT have swappable end caps:

80498-07 Slash out
80499-07 Slash down

Cycle shack also makes some good slip ons but they are generally very loud although they are good performers.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I can probably come up with end cap part numbers too. Best of luck.

Attached Thumbnails True Duals - What to buy...-2006_flstsci.jpg  

Last edited by stratplexi; 01-31-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: True Duals - What to buy...