Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Fat Boy issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM
KYFATBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 Fat Boy issue

Ok so here is the short and skinny.... I bought my wife an 08 Fat Boy last week at a Harley Dealer in Nashville, it has VH big shots and a SEST with the stage 1 breather kit... The bike was a repo with 3000 miles on it... The issue we are having with it is when I go to start it, it takes about 3 different cranks of the motor for it to start, and for the past 2 days when I try to start it I get a white cloud come out of the breather... It is raw gas, after it is has started and run for a few minutes it fires right back with no problems.... I dont have the SEST box, so I know to do anything with the tuning of it I will have to pony up and buy a new one.... But my question is what is making it blow raw gas out of the breather??? I checked the plugs and the front one seems normal and the back seems to be a bit on the lean side... I have until April 1st until the warranty runs out, and I do know that all of the parts were installed by a harley dealer and it should be covered to make repairs if necessary.... My local shop told me it could be a sensor that could possibly be bad... Any thoughts about that??

Last edited by KYFATBOB; 03-03-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
myfhfb06
Tourer

From a previous thread wasn't there an issue with the bike before you bought it?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:51 PM
KYFATBOB
Tourer

yes it had a hesitation in it when you would hit the gas hard, but when they changed the plugs out that issue went away.... But with it blowing fuel out of the breather has got me worried....

Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KYFATBOB
Ok so here is the short and skinny.... I bought my wife an 08 Fat Boy last week at a Harley Dealer in Nashville, it has VH big shots and a SEST with the stage 1 breather kit... The bike was a repo with 3000 miles on it... The issue we are having with it is when I go to start it, it takes about 3 different cranks of the motor for it to start, and for the past 2 days when I try to start it I get a white cloud come out of the breather... It is raw gas, after it is has started and run for a few minutes it fires right back with no problems.... I dont have the SEST box, so I know to do anything with the tuning of it I will have to pony up and buy a new one.... But my question is what is making it blow raw gas out of the breather??? I checked the plugs and the front one seems normal and the back seems to be a bit on the lean side... I have until April 1st until the warranty runs out, and I do know that all of the parts were installed by a harley dealer and it should be covered to make repairs if necessary.... My local shop told me it could be a sensor that could possibly be bad... Any thoughts about that??
sounds like you need to take it back to the dealer.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 PM
chchfatboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because a harley dealer installs parts doesn't mean the warranty hasn't been voided, just because someone else has installed parts doesn't mean the warranty is voided.

Ok, back to your problem. Don't sit around here while your wondering. By all means post and get views as you have and maybe the experts on here will diagnose but get it back to the dealer asap before they have any opportunity to get out of their obligations.

No harm in taking it to them and showing them whats up.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree. Sounds like a serious problem, perhaps frozen valves or reversed timing. Take it back to the dealer and see whats up.