Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM
SoftailDon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Commander

On my '09 Heritage I have replaced my stock mufflers with HD SE bolt ons and have replaced the air cleaner with a SE stage 1. Then I had the dealer recalibrate the ECM with a HD download. Can anyone tell me what would be gained by adding a Power Commander after having the new download?
Thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM
waxer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailDon
On my '09 Heritage I have replaced my stock mufflers with HD SE bolt ons and have replaced the air cleaner with a SE stage 1. Then I had the dealer recalibrate the ECM with a HD download. Can anyone tell me what would be gained by adding a Power Commander after having the new download?
Thanks
SoftailDon
I am going to be doing the same thing you did and aren't sure between the download,super tuner or PC. How is yours running ? Is there a certain reason you are thinking of adding a PC or just wanting it better? I know the last bike that I added the PC and the Tuner said he wished I hadn't done the dowload because it made it harder to tune but that was a few years ago and I'm not sure if things have changed. I had the SERT on my last bike and was real satisfied with it.
Thanks
Waxer

Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 AM
SoftailDon
Cruiser

It runs great and has quite a noticeable amount of power.
I don't think I need anything else but wanted to get some opinions from those that may know better.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
waxer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SoftailDon
It runs great and has quite a noticeable amount of power.
I don't think I need anything else but wanted to get some opinions from those that may know better.
How do you like the sound of the SE mufflers. I had them on my Ultra & liked the sound & performance but haven't heard the softail ones. Also can you tell any difference on how hot your bike is running compared to stock A/C & exhaust?
Thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 12:15 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The HD download is a EPA compliant remap of your ECU, . It may work fine for your expectations but in no way will you be anywhere near optimum performance. IMO for the $ 150 that most dealers charge your are much better off appling that $ towards a tuner.

There is a lot of info about tuners here, do a search. The V & H Fuelpak will at least add fuel and can be found for about $ 200.00, the PClll or PCV for $ 230 -300 and both give the ability to add fuel and adjust timing (buy from Fuel Moto great support and pricing) The SERT, TTS , ect are more pricey and require more knowledge to use but give more flexability.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:45 PM
SoftailDon
Cruiser

Thanks Xaran,
Just the kind of info I was looking for.

Waxer,
I think it sounds much more like what I would expect a Harley to sound but not so loud that bit gets old. As for heat, I can't tell any difference.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 PM
KY23
Tourer

Fuel Moto has their own branded version of the Power Commander now as well. It doesn't have the physical lean/rich adjustments on the front but for the most part you shouldn't use those anyway.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you got the ECM download already there is not much point in getting a PC V or a Fuel Moto unit. They do give a little more tuning ability than the map download to the ECM. If you are happy with the performance than stick with it. However if you are picky and really want to make sure you get the best performance out of your bike, for your driving style then I would suggest switching to either PC V or Moto Fuel (I am going to resist commenting which one to pick because that is just way to much of a long argument as you will notice when you search through the forum a little). Either way you then can take the bike to a dyno tuner and have it calibrated properly. Calibrated to suit your exhaust, air intake, engine and riding style (you might want more power and care less about MPG or vice versa). Please note that every HD’s engine is slightly different and the same setup on the same bike might tune ever so slightly different than the same on someone elses bike. Engines start of unique and how you ride in the engine makes them stay unique. So PC or FM will give you the tool to tune more precisely.
But again, if you are happy with what you have, why bother, its 300 for the module and another 100-200 for the dyno run. I would wait till you actually change exhaust completely, and have work done to your engine, like changing cams, pistons, etc… at that point getting PC V, Fuel Moto, or even SERT would make more sence.

Enjoy your ride