Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suicide Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 PM
pitbull65
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suicide Clutch

I just finished making my tank shifter. looking to convert an 05 FLSTN toe shifter to a suicide clutch. Has anyone done this? Any pointers or pictures would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

"Wicked" good idea. Lots of info on jockey/suicide kits. Use the search button...it works wondaz! and try...

www.lajockeyshifter.com

P.s...Welcome Brother. Cant wait to get back home to Mass myself.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I converted my shifter to a foot clutch, used a piece that I cut off an old set of crash bars to support the clutch cable bracket. The closer that you put clutch cable attachment to the pivot point, the better feel that you will have in the foot pedal. Here's a pic.

www.bigmikespinstriping.com

Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
pitbull65
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spooner
I converted my shifter to a foot clutch, used a piece that I cut off an old set of crash bars to support the clutch cable bracket. The closer that you put clutch cable attachment to the pivot point, the better feel that you will have in the foot pedal. Here's a pic.

www.bigmikespinstriping.com
Looks nice Spooner. Any chance you have a front and rear angle on the pic? How is it getting the filter off?

Last edited by pitbull65; 03-16-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I run the La Jockey shifter setup with a tank shifter too. The kit consisted of the tank shifter, new clutch cable and a bracket that mounts between the floorboard and the frame for the clutch cable. Let me see if I can find some pics of it before install. Foot clutch from above Clutch bracket from the side Tank shifter before chroming on the bike

Old 03-17-2010, 03:53 AM
DarkTrak
Road Master

Just finished my LaBriola kit an hour ago. Fit and finish were not as good as I would have thought for the $ but some drilling and hammering and she went together. Told myself that as long as I didn't snuff it out on the first time riding it, I wouldn't mind if I did for a week straight as long as it wasnt the first time...so obviously as soon as I tried pulling away from my driveway...stall. But the rest of the ride was smooth sailing. gonna take some getting used to tho. I'll be taking a 1/2" wrench and some allen's with me for the ride to work just incase I have to make some adjustments on the side of the road. This clutch adjusting is really frustrating for some reason....I'm having a really hard time getting it to bit at the right spot and release at the right spot...any pointers Dr.V?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I did the same as you. All I can say is the pedal a little above where you want it to be and loosen the cable (turn it to the left) until you get it to the right height. Finding the perfect spot takes time. Did you get the jockey or tank shifter? Post some pics! When I first got my setup on I kept trying to take off in second figuring it was forward for first and pull back for the rest of the gears when it was actually the opposite. A friend got a video and just laughs every time he sees it. I also had an issue with the plate that the clutch attaches too as I had to make one of the holes where it attaches a little bit bigger. Also had to retap the horn hole so the tank shifter would bolt in. I used a helicoil.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
hhiii
Advanced
Default La Briola

I have been running the la kit for about 6 yrs or so now on my 00 flstf wow how time is flying.....
took me a while to get used to but my advice is keep and or feather the rpms more than you would think at first to use the friction point on the clutch in your advantage.. for some reason at first my head wanted to idle it off from a start and stall stall..

slow left hand uturns will get you.... read up on the techniques for slow left hand turns.. you tube "police rodeo" and watch those guys. most of it is correct speed and don't look at the ground look way into the turn you prob. already know that but getting better at it helps with limited use of left foot..

Attached Thumbnails Suicide Clutch-jockey-blow-up.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

You get used to running a foot clutch pretty quick. Now whenever I ride my Softail with it's hand clutch I accidently down shift at least once before remembering that my left foot ain't the clutch on it.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Jack
You get used to running a foot clutch pretty quick. Now whenever I ride my Softail with it's hand clutch I accidently down shift at least once before remembering that my left foot ain't the clutch on it.
I did this on my wife's bike last time I rode it.

Quick Reply: Suicide Clutch