Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions to get closer to handlebars please

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:47 AM
brendajm
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions to get closer to handlebars please

I posted a few times about my stock seating being so uncomfortable.Well I finally decided to try a Mustang. I got to ride with it some,, it seems really comfy.. But the problem is I was already feeling kinda stretched to reach the handlebars, and now it is worse. The Mustang seat definately sets me back an inch or two. My arms are straight out and I kinda got to lean over.. I can ride like this but I dont think it will be very comfortable. Who here has changed out their bars or put on different risers to get a closer fit? I hate to have to do this as my hubby says we will probably had to change out the cables too. Any suggestions?? thanks
I have a 2006 deluxe.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:23 AM
oldhdrider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good morning, would like to see how your bike turns out. post pics before and after if you can. I have the same issue on my 05'. Would like my grips to be just a lil closer. Don't want to go thru all the cable/wiring change out.
ride safe

Old 06-08-2010, 08:24 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pull back risers should take care of it.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 AM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wires are bunced up some under the tank, so you have some room before you need to extend them. I switched to street slamers and only needed to get a longer brake line.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 AM
brendajm
Intermediate

I have been looking everywhere for pull backrisers.. do you have any part numbers? We even stopped at an HD dealership in De last weekend and they were clueless.. no help at all.. I have a call into my local dealership today and they said they would call me back..Since the deluxe already had 4 inch risers,what size would be good? I also have to make sure it clears the console..

Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

I put Heritage bars on my wife's Deluxe and she loves them. The grips are back to a comfortable riding position.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM
brendajm
Intermediate

I just got a call from the dealership and he recommended putting on heritaga bars also, he said I would need to change out the riser also.. Did you have to put on a different riser? He said with the Heritage bars I have more play and can rotate them back towards me and I should only have to switch out the clutch cable..

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 AM
grumpygy
Tourer

On my Heritage I just added new risers and then rotated the Bars back to me. That really helped.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 4 inch pull back riser on my Fatboy and also the mustang seat its a very comfortable riding position & no need to switch out cable/wire.

Colin

Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by brendajm
I just got a call from the dealership and he recommended putting on heritaga bars also, he said I would need to change out the riser also.. Did you have to put on a different riser? He said with the Heritage bars I have more play and can rotate them back towards me and I should only have to switch out the clutch cable..
I didn't change out the riser and the bars worked fine for my wife. She's maybe 5'5 or so. If I remember correctly, the stock clutch cable would have worked just fine but I put braided cables on so I ended up changing out all the cables. Seems like I went slightly over on the throttle cables.

Quick Reply: Suggestions to get closer to handlebars please