Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer glass cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:10 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Funny I never noticed anything like that inside of my speedo.....maybe the 'eyebrow' type cover I put on it has helped divert water 'up and over' instead of 'in', who knows.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Striker951
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Now why would I tell you a way to do this if I hadn't already done it myself? It worked for me... might work for you if you can get past the paranoia.
How did you crimp it back down?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:18 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

This is a link that may help: IT IS A SLOW PROCESS AND REQUIRES PATIENCE.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/detai...edo-glass.html

Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine filled up with dust so had it changed on warranty, hopefully this one will be better, cant be any worse than with my last bike, a Triumph. 13 sets of clocks with rev counters, thats how many I had in 2 yrs, . Triumph clocks were realy bad.

Reddog GB

Old 08-10-2010, 03:14 PM
allenbr
Novice

I have the exact same problem on my 2010. I took it back to the dealer and they told me tough **** that happens to all of them. I was thinking about getting the speedo tach combo, but i don't want to spend $500 just to have it also look like hell the first time i wash the bike.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Take a church key and round off the sides of it a little.

Lay the speedo on a soft surface. I used a towel. The church key is a natural for this. Take it with the curved back toward the speedometer and hook the lip under the ring.

Lift the church key. Not all at once. Move it a little, lift. Keep going around until you see a gap.

Take a long blade screwdriver and with your hand on top of the screwdriver to hold the shaft wiggle it down between the gasket and ring.

Pull the screwdriver away from the speedo. Slide the screwdriver along and pull back again.

Don't stop until you can lift the speedometer out with out prying it or you will never get it back in.

Once you get it open you will see there is no way water gets in the front. The speedometer has vent holes in the back and around the connector plug. It has to breath. The speedometer has to get hot to dry it out. Two many high humidity rides with out some heat causes the drip marks.

The fork was to lift the needles off If you want to go farther.

When you put it back together you want to lube the gasket with a little silicone spray. Not much just a little, and work it back together.

I used an old mouse pad. Lay the speedometer down and place your hand on top and press down. Start to form the back of the ring down. Keep pressure on the back of the speedometer. It doesn't take much.

DO NOT SCRAPE THE FACE. It will scratch real easy. You can get replacement glass kit for 5" speedometers but I have not found a source for the 4" yet.

I have done several. It takes patience.

The following users liked this post:
Listkeeper (04-01-2021)
Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

haven't look at it to see if I could find any issues..
just long enough to read the speed..

Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Striker951
Cruiser

Took mine apart today. Came apart pretty nice but after trying to clean the water spots off the glass I came to find out they somehow etched themselves into the glass so what a waste of time taking it apart. Now after putting it back together I see someone posted that you can get replacement pieces of glass. Please post on where to get the glass.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:45 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Etched water stains???
Might be, but maybe its just really hard water stains. There are some products and/or procedures for removing most hard water stains......

Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Striker951
Cruiser

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Etched water stains???
Might be, but maybe its just really hard water stains. There are some products and/or procedures for removing most hard water stains......
I would sure like to know what they are. I tried Lime-away, vinegar, and CLR and they are still there. If you know of something else, I'd like to know what it is.

Quick Reply: speedometer glass cleaning?