Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow Texans with Apes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Fellow Texans with Apes! 15 inches LAW???

i'm days away from ordering my 17's with 3.5'' risers and i intend to get rid of the front turn signals, so, in order to not get harassed i went to the dps website to check for turn signal law when i bump into this:::

14. Does Texas have a law regarding handlebar height?
Yes, handlebar height information can be found on the DPS' website under Vehicle Inspections under 20.25 Steering Item (2) Inspect for and reject if (j) On motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, handlebar grips extend to a height in excess of 15 inches above the saddle level.
Note: This is measured from the lowest part of the seat (saddle) to the highest part of the handlebars (grips).

WTF?????????

no requirements for turn signals though

Last edited by SuspendedUser; 07-13-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned

This is DPS Inspection list:
05.07 Inspect Every Motorcycle and Motor-Driven Cycle For:
(listed in suggested order of inspection)
* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility
  1. Horn
  2. Mirror
  3. Steering
  4. Brakes (system)
  5. Tires
  6. Wheel Assembly
  7. Exhaust System
  8. Tail Lamp (1)
  9. Stop Lamp (1)
  10. License Plate Lamp
  11. Rear Red Reflector (1)
  12. Head Lamp (1)
  13. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned

Here's 20.25, look at J

20.25 Steering - The steering system of the vehicle must be inspected to determine if excessive wear and/or maladjustment of the steering linkage and/or steering gear exists. Wear and adjustment of the steering system will be checked by measuring lash. Vehicle must be on a dry surface.
Lash defined: Lash is the condition in which the steering control can be turned through some part of a revolution without front wheel motion. The wheels should be loaded and positioned straight ahead.
Jamming defined: Jamming is any obstruction to the turning of the steering control caused by interference between some components of the steering system.
The obstruction would include tires too large or damaged fenders that would interfere with a full right or left turn.
  1. Inspection Procedure. Lash or Free Play: With road wheels in straight ahead position, turn steering wheel until the turning motion can be observed at the road wheels. Measure lash. (See diagram.)
  2. Inspect for and reject if:
    1. Steering Lash (see chart)
    1. It is impossible to turn the steering wheel from full right to full left without binding or jamming other than at wheel stops.
    2. Steering mechanism is not firmly attached and free of frame cracks or missing bolts.
    3. Modification of the steering system so as to affect the proper steering of the vehicle or steering wheel has been modified or replaced with one that is noticeably smaller than original factory equipment.
    4. Any excessively worn or broken parts in the steering system.
    5. Visible leaks in power steering unit or hoses.
    6. Power steering belt is excessively cracked, frayed, or has pieces missing or tension is not adequate. Serpentine belts are not to be rejected merely for cracks in the ribs.
    7. Fluid in power steering unit is below manufacturer’s recommended level. Do not overfill.
    8. On motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, handlebars or steering head is bent, loose, broken or damaged so as to cause unsafe condition in steering.
    9. On motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, handlebar grips extend to a height in excess of 15 inches above the saddle level.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned

Wtf... i just measured my lo with the stock bars, and according to these idiots im breaking the law! anybody ever get a ticket for this in Texas?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
kirkw101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not me (stock bars on a 05 fatboy). And I tell you this the beer joints on route 66 in downtown Amarillo are covered up in tall apes all weekend and I have never seen the fuzz stop one of them.

Kirk

Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 PM
firecwp
Tourer

Which apes did you order?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned

im ordering them friday... its payday thursday...

im in between carlini evil apes or todd's cycle chubby strip bars... deciding factor is 5 vs 7 inch pullback and cost of course...

Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain

...easy decision - Carlini's. Great products!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 AM
94fatboy
Tourer

18" apes here in Dallas, sat and talked to many cops never has one said anything about my bars. Doesnt mean they wont in your area but I have never had an issue.

Where in Texas are you?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 AM
SuspendedUser
Banned

Originally Posted by 94fatboy
18" apes here in Dallas, sat and talked to many cops never has one said anything about my bars. Doesnt mean they wont in your area but I have never had an issue.

Where in Texas are you?
i'm in NW Houston, Spring to be exact... Well, i have been waiting to get my apes for so long that i cant be deterred by this so, i guess i'll find out...

i'm getting 17's on 3.5 risers so i'll be at 20''

i measured my stock bars from the saddle last night and i couldnt help but laugh i mean, my stock bars clear 15'' above the saddle no problem, i guess they dont bother anymore and it's an old law?

They are starting to be annoying about no baffels in the galeria/downtown area, i've heard of a couple of people getting tickets, however, there are still a sh*tload of people destroying ear drums all over the place.

Quick Reply: Fellow Texans with Apes!