Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Clutch Cable install help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:51 AM
noridinsavage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The snap ring was not an issue last night, but something else was strange. I got the cable all installed, overall about 3" too long. When I went to adjust it, it adjusted ALL the way out of the threads! It was as if the cable was too long for the sheath or vise versa. Has anyone ever encountered this issue?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM
alaskajeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I've not heard of that happening before. Mine adjusted out fine. And BTW it seemed a bit long too, but not 3" longer. That shouldn't have anything to do with it as you probably already know. There may be something wrong on the inside of the tranny cover, ANY length cable should adjust out, if it's hooked up properly. Did you put tranny fluid back in it yet?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM
noridinsavage
Cruiser

Didnt lose but 3 drops when opening the cover. It is all hooked up right, I tripled checked. May have to open the derby cover and check adjustment there.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
alaskajeff
Road Captain

Was your old cable working properly when you removed it? I know it would be a PITA but You could re-hook up your old one and see if you notice anything different between the two??

Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM
noridinsavage
Cruiser

The old one worked great and was only adjusted halfway. The pivot arm the cable connects to was adjusted just right, it could not adjust any more than it was as far as clearance in the cover. I'm guessing it is the adjustment in the tranny?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 AM
alaskajeff
Road Captain

I don't think you should have to go into the tranny. There has to be something different about the new cable. Did you compair the old vs. the new to see if there were anything obviously different? How about where it threads into the tranny cover? Are there the same amount of threads? MAYBE you got the wrong cable and it's not meant for a softail??? Just throwing things out to ya??

Old 11-19-2010, 10:47 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're sure you have the right style cable and it's hooked up right inside the tranny cover then I think you're on the right track by pulling the derby and adjusting it that way.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
If you're sure you have the right style cable and it's hooked up right inside the tranny cover then I think you're on the right track by pulling the derby and adjusting it that way.
Yeh, but if everything was working fine before you started, then there can't be anything wrong with stuff you haven't touched. If the cable is the same as the old one, has to be in the way it was installed. Sorry.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 AM
noridinsavage
Cruiser

I will see what happens when I get home tonight. Thanks for all your advice

Old 11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Nickrc3
Road Captain

Had the same problem - ensure the cable is adjusted out, remove the Derby cover and readjust the clutch pak. There's a sequence to follow.
You have the manual, right?

Quick Reply: Fatboy Clutch Cable install help