Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Machine shift lever install problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever
Bro that sucks! I might see if I can change to the heel toe version instead. If they say it's supposed to fit it should fit! I'm not going to be a happy camper if I have problems too.
What kind of sled you have ?All PM kept saying was they work on our Fat Boy's.So if you have a Fat Boy you may be good to go.I don't really know what the difference can be ??? Then they kept telling me maybe something is different with the 2010 s. Then it was maybe its just your Deluxe.Wish I had a answer for you and me.It does suck, I have a shot gun shock,and a nacelle in the boxes in my garage I wanted to get at. But I wont even start that until this is resolved .Dude I'm so pissed right now I just feel like taking the bike to harley and letting them install the shock and nacelle.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

That sucks big time. Remind not to sell any more of those to people with Deluxe's.

Drew

Old 03-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Well problem solved.A 3/4 " 16.00 dollar spacer from Softbrake did the trick.Apparently Rick from Softbrake knows what size the spacer should be.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you, man! Glad you got it worked out.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tx_Outlaw
Good for you, man! Glad you got it worked out.
Thanks Chuck and Thanks again for your help.Hope you are feeling good and healing up well.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 PM
flstfblo11
Intermediate

Well...just installed the PM shifter and same problem here, the spacer is about 1/4" to big that came with the shifter. I'm going to see if I can get it machined locally instead of the waiting game.
Meanwhile, I've installed it without the spacer and wrapped up the end of the shift rod with electrical tape til I fine a proper grommet to go over it.

I also installed the rear PM brake lever with similar problems for fitting, after a little modification with a grinder, it fits. There quality control is a bit to be desired.

BTW, part no.'s are correct also for my Lo.

oh well....it LOOKS better now at least! lol

Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had no issues with the brake lever.....

Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

I had the same problem with my shift lever and thanks to Malingerer found a spacer. I had no problems with my rear brake lever whatsoever.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM
07DLUX
Stage II

I had the same problem just a few months ago. It seems that there are several parts out there that dont just bolt onto the Deluxe. I had problems with an air suspension i had ordered and various other parts. I ended up ordering the heel shifter as well.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

This is like the 7th person who has had this problem with this shift lever.They have either contacted me via pm or posted here.Both Fat Boy's and Deluxes's.I would say at this point this lever would not work on any softail(trying to delete the heel shift).With out getting the correct spacer.It is a nice looking and quality piece.But the fitment with the spacer is off.The spacer needs to be 3/4 " if any one is interested.Softbrake has what you need to make it work.I had no problems with the brake lever either.

Quick Reply: Performance Machine shift lever install problem?