Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a 26" front wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:54 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireman1501
I dont think just trees is the key.. You have to cut and rake the neck also to get the trail just right.. And in my eyes I would not just cut it in the garage floor.. Get a frame table so you know you have everything where it needs to be.. I know venders sale these neck cut kits with metal and a paper templet but I am annal about measurements when you are dealing with two wheels hitting the pavement at the right angle.
I agree. I think the kind of rake angles they are trying to get with just trees is too much. Of course, everybody selling them and a lot of people that have bought them won't admit the bike doesn't ride correctly. My buddy went that route because he didn't want to alter the frame of a practically brand new bike, but it didn't work out like he'd hoped.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Just an old man talking here....

That truely is a sick looking bike.. but IMO that bike is made to look At....

NOT RIDDEN...

I've done customs and I had enough of them...

I want a bike that I can get on every day and ride till I am tired...

I don't want a bike that I am TIRED of working on... Been There, Done That....

Read the last of PEGS threads in here ...

She has a great bike,,,,,,BUT with all the Mods comes ISSUES.....

She just said her next bike will be LEFT STOCK so she can take a 200 miles trip without something breaking down....

So U YOUNG-INS do all Ur OOOOHs and AHHHH's...
it aint fun to be broke down on the road side every-other trip and/or working on fixing her all week up just to ride her Friday night..

Like I said,, BTDT,,,, yrs ago....

Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Just an old man talking here....

That truely is a sick looking bike.. but IMO that bike is made to look At....

NOT RIDDEN...

I've done customs and I had enough of them...

I want a bike that I can get on every day and ride till I am tired...

I don't want a bike that I am TIRED of working on... Been There, Done That....

Read the last of PEGS threads in here ...

She has a great bike,,,,,,BUT with all the Mods comes ISSUES.....

She just said her next bike will be LEFT STOCK so she can take a 200 miles trip without something breaking down....

So U YOUNG-INS do all Ur OOOOHs and AHHHH's...
it aint fun to be broke down on the road side every-other trip and/or working on fixing her all week up just to ride her Friday night..

Like I said,, BTDT,,,, yrs ago....

I hear ya, and I agree. My buddy's bike has a stretched tank, and the flared out side covers that kinda flow into the bags, but your jeans are touching paint at all times on that bike. There's no getting around it, and if you put enough miles like that, it will buff the clear off. The front fenders picks up rocks and caught a cracked chunk of pavement last month that required the fender being raised, fixed, and repainted. He noticed a few weeks ago during a 200 mile trip that it was handling even more like a tank than normal. When we got back, he checked tire pressure, and it was reading about 4 psi. You can push down on that stiff tire and can't really even tell its flat.

He was bound and determined that he was going to build 26" tire bagger, and was going to ride it like he always did. To his credit, he has put more miles on it that we ever thought he would, but the he is getting very tired of it. He's tired of riding in the back when we go to the mountains because it bottoms out like crazy and he's tired of the stiff and heavy steering.

The bike gets more compliments than any bike in our group hands down, and people stare at it going down the road, but unfortunately it doesn't ride like it looks. I'd advise anybody wanting to do it to their bike to ride one before they make their decision.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 PM
bfleischer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF done RIGHT you can ride a raked SG/RG no problem . Is it like stock no but I think that is obvious . Your turning radius is more . I am contemplating doing a 26 SG now but before I wanted to take the leap my buddy let me take his 26 SG on a 500 mile weekend trip . By the time we got there he wanted his bike bike as he was on my deluxe and I didnt want to give it back .

He got got the frame raked right by people who know what they are doing . I think that is key .

Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not my thang. I was shaking my head looking this one over, but knew as I took pictures of it certain guys love the look.
A 30"er. Just don't have a blow out inbetween here and no where and expect to get a replacement tire any time soon to continue your trip.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:01 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I see both sides of the coin here, but I think you guys are missing it.

Those that build a 26" bagger or modify to one like myself, have a 2nd bike for touring. There's no way in hell I'd jump on a custom $60,000+ bagger and tour with it. For those that do this to their only sled that they have, don't do long trip riding and if they do they will experience why most with these kind of baggers don't.

I currently have a 21" on my FLHX, but I am going to a 26" with a modified rake. It is for looks and shows and showing off etc... I use my Ultra to tour on.

So my point is? The guys that modify their baggers to these extremes can obviously afford it, which means they have a 2nd or even 3rd bike to accomadate their other riding styles.

If a rider modifies his ONLY bike to these extremes, he just dosen't ride a lot or should I say he dosen't ride 300+ days often. Just sayin'

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 06-17-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:13 PM
RLJ676
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97HeritageSpringer
I hear ya, and I agree. My buddy's bike has a stretched tank, and the flared out side covers that kinda flow into the bags, but your jeans are touching paint at all times on that bike. There's no getting around it, and if you put enough miles like that, it will buff the clear off. The front fenders picks up rocks and caught a cracked chunk of pavement last month that required the fender being raised, fixed, and repainted. He noticed a few weeks ago during a 200 mile trip that it was handling even more like a tank than normal. When we got back, he checked tire pressure, and it was reading about 4 psi. You can push down on that stiff tire and can't really even tell its flat.

He was bound and determined that he was going to build 26" tire bagger, and was going to ride it like he always did. To his credit, he has put more miles on it that we ever thought he would, but the he is getting very tired of it. He's tired of riding in the back when we go to the mountains because it bottoms out like crazy and he's tired of the stiff and heavy steering.

The bike gets more compliments than any bike in our group hands down, and people stare at it going down the road, but unfortunately it doesn't ride like it looks. I'd advise anybody wanting to do it to their bike to ride one before they make their decision.
He has just trees w/ no cut on the frame? This works sometimes, but is rare. Depending on what trees he has he can cut his frame now and get a great ride. Send him over to choppedbaggers dot com to get the answers he needs. Lots of guys w/ experience there to help him out, he shouldn't give up yet the bike looks great.

Oh, and when done right they ride fine. Plenty of guys touring on them just like before. If trail is correct, you don't give up much.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:08 PM
bfleischer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now 30 for me is to much lol ...

Any more pics of that white one in the background ?

Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Cadilacjoe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are you guys .those guys who say you can't ride a chopper long distance too. And choppers are just bar hoppers.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by akhenaten
Until a guy can find some more realistic symmetry between front and rear wheel sizes, I personallly think the massive front is too much. Unless you are looking for that big wheel look, the rear needs to be within 8" of the rear. The movement into "baller" rims on bikes, imho, needs to be reasonable. Hell the front rim alone will require such a small amount of rubber, not to mention the cost, that the bike will be rendered unridable. Unless you are strictly show, the bike will be a "bar hopper" at best. Just my 20 cents of course. It looks isvk, but can you ride it across country, without a trailer?
In general, I'm with you. I don't like machines that have been made NON FUNCTIONAL to "look good"...what? I think it is bizarre that some people in the sport/hobby/lifestyle, build VERY expensive fantastic looking machines that go NOWHERE!!!! I don't know of any other vehicle manufacturing that intentionally did that except for Howard Hughes and the infamous Spruce Goose!! I was in that plane one time in Cali. and it is freekin huge...but a big huge expensive paperweight as far as flying...For a motorcycle, I would not pay 5 cents for one unless I could do at least 300 miles a day comfortably...All that money on top notch functional parts put together NOT TO WORK just kills me...jmho...Ride long distance safe...