Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end not straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 AM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on Poly bushings, just added 4" risers on mine and spend the extra $ to keep my bars in check.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 AM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your handlebars can be moved rather easily by pushing or pulling on the bars, you should consider changing to poly bushings. Get the $10.00 poly set from J&P, they work great. Throw a thick towel over the tank in case the bars slip. Just remove the bolts holding the risers to the tripple trees. It helps to have a buddy help.
to fix the bars not being straight, just loosen the riser clamp bolts a bit and adjust the bars by lining them up with the wheel. Make sure you don't let loose of them and scratch your tank.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:57 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys, you have me made me feel a lot better about my new purchase I was thinking I'd bought a duff bike. I will try and straighten them later, and I'm going to order some bushes. cheers

Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines off too. It tracks just fine hell i've ridden miles with no hands on the bars, not a wobble,sway,veer or whatever.I've tried and tried loosening up everything up and retightening and mine still about 1/8 inch off...and its not the risrer bushing, because when I'm ridding on a smooth and straight the gap in the top trip/clamp is off from the little ridge spine on the frame on the back of the upper neck. And Ive even tried spinning front fork legs indiviually in the clamps just in case one has a slight bend.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
My Deluxe front end dont look straight, the bike tracks great, no pulling to one side or anything like that, its just that when your going in a straight line the bars are ever so slightly out, and I mean only a little, a mate of mine couldnt even see it, but I know its there and its pissin me off.
The bars are not bent or anything so I dont know what it could be other than its not been put together right, there are no signs of it being dropped either.
Any ideas

Dude, you're the Lawn Mower Man, what do you expect? Your Deluxe is the most expensive two wheeled tractor you'll have. A little tweak and twist is required for any piece of gear.

All kidding aside you gotten a lot of good advice here, but don't get you hopes up, you may never get it perfect.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Usually the problem is the bars are crooked because of the rubber bushings. You can put your tire against the curb and tweek the bars till they are straight...but they are not likely to stay. If it bothers you that bad you can get some poly bushings or just ignore it.

Yep! That.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 on the Risers .. if you tighten them you should be able to get it fixed , happens a lot.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 AM
prost34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought i was the only one with my bars being off,drives me insane,thanks for the info,,,

Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Usually the problem is the bars are crooked because of the rubber bushings. You can put your tire against the curb and tweek the bars till they are straight...but they are not likely to stay. If it bothers you that bad you can get some poly bushings or just ignore it.
+2 on that. My Train has always done the same thing.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
rrambo
Tourer

+3 mine are crooked... noticed it the first time I rode it.... had to bring the bike home from the dealer in the back of my truck and I think when the straps were tightened down, it pulled the bars too much in one direction.. I was able to twist them almost straight by straddling the wheel between my legs and turning the bars as hard as I could.. still not perfectly straight but I don't care.. I've got new bars/risers/bushings coming from Dr. VTWIN as soon as they get them in stock.

Quick Reply: Front end not straight