Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Heritage Classic Fuel consumption problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Sounds like a bad Map or maybe a leaking Fuel Injector. Have you taken a look at your spark plugs? With the kind of MPG you're reporting they should be showing a fairly rich condition. On my signature bike with a stage 1 setup I was getting 45 MPG. With the 103, Cams, TTS reprogram, etc I now get 40 MPG but is does make the scenery move with considerably more authority now.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Sounds like a bad Map or maybe a leaking Fuel Injector. Have you taken a look at your spark plugs? With the kind of MPG you're reporting they should be showing a fairly rich condition. On my signature bike with a stage 1 setup I was getting 45 MPG. With the 103, Cams, TTS reprogram, etc I now get 40 MPG but is does make the scenery move with considerably more authority now.
I was actually thinking along the lines of maybe a clogged injector? The people that i bought the bike from said that it was sitting for over a year, not ridden. If the previous owner didn't "winterize" the fuel by not putting sta-bil or something similar, there "could" be a clog in the line somewhere?!?!? Just a thought?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer can't "Dyno" a download, you would need to purchase a SERT in order for them to do that.

The download will get your mileage back but at a cost of performance and heat. The download is designed to run lean to satisfy EPA specs. I had SE exhaust and AC on my 04 with a dealer download and it ran so lean that my pipes blued. Not just the head pipes but the Muffler. Way too lean for my taste. I have since gotten the T-max with AT and no more heat issues but I do get between 35 and 40MPG now. I'm sure if I spend a bit more time with the tune I get get that to a consistent 40 but that takes time that I have not had to spend with it.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:36 AM
kzoo
Road Master

My 04 Heritage with SE stage I gets about 38 mpg all around riding. (I keep track) I figure (dont know for sure because I bought it this way) that I must have some download as stock I am told will get 42-44 all around. I get to about 160 miles and start to look for a fuel up, but can go another 15-20 miles if I ride easy.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser

Just got back from the dealer. Thay did a Stage 1 download (34363-06/DT) 1450 ST1 Softail 25 Deg. Not sure why they used that download instead of the 34362-06?
Bike still pops on decel. I tightened the nuts on both front/rear exhaust headers. Won't know if mileage improved until I refill it....

Old 06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

IMO its the PC.. or the way its map...

Son and I have had 4 new bikes, 3Softails and 1 Streetglide since 07 and they all have gotten between 40-46 mpg, average of 42-43..
Makes no difference if ridden in town, putting in 3rd-4th in the country or out on state roads at 60-65.
All four of them have had Cams and SERT installed and were dyno tuned..

Actually they do better after 5k and the cams will/should get U 1-3 mpg better if tuned correct.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Sigh... there are a number of threads on this forum that will explain this, plus everyone's opinion, good or bad, about what the issues are.

You saved about $600 by not getting an autotune replacement ECM. Even then, for performance (which SE stage 1 is intended for, not for looks and sound... that's a side benefit) you will not get gas mileage and you won't be in compliance with EPA standards.

You save about $300 by using a canned map that is always on the safe (and thus rich) side because how can the manufacturer guess what your bike is doing and where it is (elevation, humidity, temperature, etc.). You can instead get a dyno that costs about $300 more and get the best >compromise< between mileage and performance. If you don't have autotune (no closed loop O2 sensors), that is good for where you are but not the best for other climates and locations. If you make any other performance changes, you will need to get re-dyno'd.

A Harley download will not be what controls you bike (as someone was insisting in this thread) when you have a Power Commander. The power commander intecepts and replaces the AFR settings of your Harley ECM.

C#

Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser

With the PCIII disconnected, I have noticed that I seem to be getting more mileage out of a tankfull. Right now, the needle is sitting between empty and half, and I have went 130 miles....usually at this point, my low fuel light is coming on. Either I had a bad canned map or the PCIII is not playing well with the ECU. There is still quite a bit of popping on decel even with the ST1 dowload. The folks from Dynajet sent me a new map to try. For now, I'm going to monitor my mileage w/o using the PCIII, and at some point hook it up and try the newer maps. Will keep ya'll posted on my progress...and thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The download won't do much for decel pop. Mine sounded like the fourth of July with the download.

you will get better mileage but that is because you are running lean. You run more of a risk of damage from heat that way, but it is more economical.

There is a fine line between lean and too lean that is why most aftermarket tuners will lean toward a fat mix to ensure that they don't damage anything but mileage.

Before you try that map, I would contact them again and ensure that it will work as expected with the HD download already installed.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with fcsallan the Stage 1 download did nothing to address my popper.

A proper map, either tuned or download, will fix the deceleration pop. They do this by making the first few hundred rpms (throttle closed position) richer. On a typical Power Commander III a 7 to 10 percent drop in fuel mileage is not unusual, but add that to the better overall throttle response and the riders new found enthusiasm you might just be looking at 20 to 25 percent drop from stock.

I am curious to see how your testing goes with the stock ECU vs Current PC vs Newer Mapped PC.

Last edited by TheTroupe; 06-08-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Heritage Classic Fuel consumption problem