Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM
FLTRX in FL
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember that there is a rear brake switch as well.
It is easier to check / adjust than the front brake switch.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was the rear brake light switch. Follow your rear brake line and find the switch behind your exhaust. If you unplug one of the wires and your brake light goes out, then it's bad. You will still have a brake light when using your front lever. You can get a replacement switch at Autozone for $8-$10. Make sure that you use some thread tape on the new one.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 PM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Other day saw that my rear brake light was *ON* all the time, checked front and rear brakes when I got home, removed the right brake handle and looked inside to see if the front stop light switch was making a 'clicking' sound. It was making a barely clickable sound, but just to make sure I pulled the plug on the rear stop light switch - and light was still on.

I did swap out my rear brake light - just as another step to make sure that it was the switch during troubleshooting, same problem - brake light was still stuck on no matter what bulb I used.

So - visited my dealership - $60 later, have the new switch installed. They *DO* go bad, this one took five years to go bad... but it *DID* go bad...

Just a FYI - on the 07 FLSTC - when you squeeze the brake handle, it relieves the pressure on the switch, which turns on the brake light (the button pops out) - and applies pressure against the master cylinder plunger. When you release your hand on the brake, it applies pressure on the switch (pushing the button in), turning the brake light off.

Also - all the switches do is essentially create a closed circuit. So, if you wanted to test the electrical line, you can short the line (when a switch goes bad, mostly they short *off*, but sometimes they will short *on*, which is why you see the brake lights on) by shorting the line, the brake light goes on, if you break the circuit, the light will go off. This is also to see if you have a short in the wire harness and its not the switch (yet another electrical troubleshooting step...)

Edit: I tested the switch with my ohm meter after I clipped it out - and it was stuck in the closed position, so current was passing through it. Bad switch... I've only seen a few switches like this go bad in twenty years, most of them break in the open position.

Last edited by londo-cat; 06-19-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

this should here Ya. Ur not the first..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=My+brake+light+stays+on+my+Harley

Old 06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,897 Likes on 4,677 Posts

Everyone beat me to "check the switch" comment first. There are 2 switches though. Front and rear.

And get it done fast. The brake light staying on can melt your tail light.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine on my 08 Fat Boy was the rear brake switch. Pull one of the wires off and see if it goes off. If so get a new one. I didn't know which one to get at autozone so I got mine at the dealership for about $21.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Sandy Mike
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very helpful post, reminds me why I come to this forum. Had the problem on the wifes 04 FLSTC, ran through the checks listed, front switch bad (likely my fault from when I changed her grips, although that was months ago). Replaced the front switch - what a PITA - but all fine now.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's a little late now but before anybody replaces a front switch that has had the button end broken off by the brake lever, try screwing a small wood screw in its place. It is really easy and mine has worked like that for over two years.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same problem on my 09 replaced the rear brake switch and cured the problem. Luckily it was still under warranty.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Sandy Mike
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash16
I know it's a little late now but before anybody replaces a front switch that has had the button end broken off by the brake lever, try screwing a small wood screw in its place. It is really easy and mine has worked like that for over two years.
Would have been one ^%$# of a lot cheaper than the parts counter at the local dealer I am thinking.

Oh well, if I told her I was putting a "fix" on her bike instead of doing it the way the book says she'd be unhappy with me. Happy wife, happy life.