Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
punkmxcn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake light switch

Okay, so my brake light stays on. I find that if I wiggle the front brake lever out and up that it'll go off, but as soon as I let it go the brake light goes back on...
So is my brake light switch going out? It doesn't seem to push the front brake lever forward far enough to disengage the brake light. Or something like that... what do you think? should I just try to replace the switch to see if that works?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the switch. I have replaced start and run stop switches on my bike.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM
ChromeDomeDWG
Advanced

Believe it or not my buddies softail had the same problem running down the road his brake lights would be on if he pushed the lever out to full release they went out... bled the front system with new fluid and it works perfectly now...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 PM
gilnbec
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you taken your brake lever off lately? The little delicate rubber portion of your brake switch has most likely fallen off. Open up the housing and take a look. Not sure if you want to do this but you can bend the switch contact area of the brake handle and should work...done this myself. I hear these switches are pretty $$$.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 AM
punkmxcn
Tourer

Thanks, I'll check it out this weekend!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:23 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by punkmxcn
Thanks, I'll check it out this weekend!
From one of my older posts:

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Have you been working on the grips lately? If so, the wedge (spring clip) inside the switch housing which holds the brake switch in place could be the problem...
If you open up the housing and try to operate the micro switch check if there is a response from the brake/taillight.

The switch is located as shown in image 2 (p/n 2). Try to adjust the switch's position by bending out the wedge.

Here's how the brake activates the switch:

The pin on the lever (see image 1 p/n 1) pushes the plunger into the brake cylinder when squeezed... at the same time the brake switch which is mounted through the hole (image 2 p/n 3) is being released.

Could be the switch has been damaged. When you work on the brake side follow these instructions:

When you want to take off the lever from the handlebar and insert a piece of 4mm cardboard, the lever is pulled in a little allowing the pin to come off the brake switch's rubber cap. Now the lever can be removed without snagging this rubber cap.

When you re-install the lever, insert the cardboard as well and insert the lever as shown in image 3....

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 11-08-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Switches are not that expensive, picked up a new one on ebay for $20.00
Thought I would need it when I took the controls off without using the cardboard shim but it's all good so spare parts bin.
Another day.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:15 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The tab on the brake lever might not be making proper contact on the switch. It is a push button switch and the tab on the lever pushes the switch in and opens the circuit. Verify the brake lever is pushing in the switch and if so replace the switch. If it is not making contact it could be a bad lever. I had to replace my switch a couple of years ago and I got a Drag Specialties one from the dealer for around $20. It was half the price of the HD one and if worked fine.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:24 PM
ROBSCOOL
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread just saved me hours of frustration. Thank you for the write ups

Old 02-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

If you remove the lever without sliding a piece of cardboard up in there, it's easy to shear off the little protective boot.

If anyone has had the clam shell apart, then it is easy not to get that little Vspring that holds the switch in place.

If none of the above , it's probably going bad. It is a pain to replace since it's over the tank, hard to juggle taking it
apart and then you have to cut the wires and soldier it back in, shrink wrap it and get all those wire back in.

Be sure you are good at soldering. Have a lot of patients and the small motor skills of a brain surgeon. If not, pay someone
to do it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: brake light switch