Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do next? Wheels, Suspension or Chrome.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:39 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I would add a tuner first. Pipes and an air cleaner necessitate the need for this due to excessively lean nature of the bike and how it is tuned from the factory. Adding an open air filter only leans the bike out more and causes it to run hotter. There are numerous choices.

Chrome lower forks,can be done whenever and wheels can be done whenever as well. For me it was always when the money had become available that I did these mods to my bike. No real rhyme or reason to the order for me.

As far as wheels, do your research is all I can say. There are a few brands available and pricing varies. I only sell certain brands due to my personal experience in dealing with varying companies.

Like I said above, the order is of no consequence aside from the tuner. I look forward to seeing your bike progress as it already has quite a bit.

Drew

Old 11-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fmnspooch
Thx for the advice. Is this tuner something I can do on my own? Or do I need to take it in to HD for this?
Yeah you can do it yourself. It is easy. Just call Jaime at Fuel Moto and he will get you exactly what you need. I've always read that if you change both your exhaust and your breather that you need to get a tuner. I think that it's good advice. If you are going to ride a lot before you get a tuner, I would take the SE Heavy breather off and put the stock one back on until you get the tuner but I'm a little paranoid. As far as suspension goes, Progressive 422's are really good. I had them for a couple of years before switching to Shotgun Shock air ride. Either way you go the Deluxe is an awesome looking lowered bike.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 AM
fmnspooch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kozy22
Progressive suspension 422's. I have them and like them.

Chrome the front forks. The best mod I did so far.

Get chrome covers for the swing arm, they look good.

DNA makes a fat spoke, some people love them some dont. I think the issues are cleared up now. I personally want the Sinister billet daddys. I went with an 18" up front, but might go 21"

Oh yeah and get the soft brake tail light
Thx man, sweet ride!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have chrome fronts and chrome swing arm on the rear..........I looked at the covers but you have to clean under them to keep junk from building up. Really can you have too much chrome on a Harley? LOL

Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mess with suspension till you get a setup you like. then wheels then chrome.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:40 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 599 Posts

Since you've already upgraded your intake and exhaust, go with the tuner first. As mentioned, Jamie at Fuel Moto can fix you up. If you want a tuner that will replace your stock ECM and not piggy-back it, you might look at the SE Super Tuner.
Chrome the front end and drop it front and rear, then do your wheels. You can always add more chrome.