Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Vs Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: Softail Vs Dyna

ORIGINAL: Six Pack

I've been looking at both, and based purely on looks, I don't have a clear favorite.

If you were looking at roughly the same price for both bikes (rigid frame looks not a factor), why would one pick a softtail over a dyna? I've been told the dyna has better handling and acceleration, but the softail is more versatile.

Has anyone ever owned or ridden both? I'll be trading in my sporty, so I have grown accustom to great handling. Is the softail a little more comfortable on the highways for longer rides?

EDIT - I'm just looking for a general idea on Dyna and Softails - not any specific type.
Look at it this way:

Why do you want to trade in your Sportster ? Maybe thats the secret to knowing which bike to replace it with.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:13 AM
cajunman831
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i own a 2005 fatboy ann.and i also bought me a 2006 fxd,both in brilliant silver.my fatboy is more of a cruiser and is very comfortable at long rides.my dyna is more verstile
and has a six speed trans,which kicks in at 60 mph.which also is good at long runs.both are good on oil.i use syn.3i also have power commanders and v&h big shot stags.
i have no complaints with my bikes.good luck

Old 12-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Psycho
Road Master

The softail standard and the duece really turn me on, but I don't like the B engines, or the hidden suspension.

I'd say the dyna wideglide is in my opinion the best looking bike HD makes, and comes with the added plus (to me at least) of upright shocks and the rubber mounted engine. But you know what they say about opinions.

I guess it all depends on what you're buying it for.

One thing to think about when arguing ride quality. ALL of the touring models have upright shocks. There is a reason. Think about it.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:42 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Another consideration, is how tall are you ? I took more time than most to shop around. I rode, sat on everything I could for a year and a half. I waffled between the Deuce, and the Wide Glide when it came down to it. But for straight up comfort right off of the show room floor it was the W.G. I'm a little over 6'2". I have a 36 inch inseam, and there isn't a softail made that had forward enough controls for me to get comfy on. As far as the balanced motor being smoother, I can honestly say that my mirrors are as smooth as glass at highway speeds. I love my Dyna, the ONLY thing I would own other than another Dyna, is a touring bike. I kind of wish I'd have bought the Road King Custom, or the Street Glide. Lord willing I'll have a bike with bags after I get old, LOL, I just know someone will take offense to that.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:48 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And then theres the therey that upright shocks clutter up the flow or the lines of the bike. Notice how maney true customs dont have upright shocks......There is a reason....Think about it
ORIGINAL: Psycho

The softail standard and the duece really turn me on, but I don't like the B engines, or the hidden suspension.

I'd say the dyna wideglide is in my opinion the best looking bike HD makes, and comes with the added plus (to me at least) of upright shocks and the rubber mounted engine. But you know what they say about opinions.

One thing to think about when arguing ride quality. ALL of the touring models have upright shocks. There is a reason. Think about it.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HD7585

And then theres the therey that upright shocks clutter up the flow or the lines of the bike. Notice how maney true customs dont have upright shocks......There is a reason....Think about it

Exactly. You have to think about it. Do you prefer the look of the hidden shocks enough to put up with the reduced suspension travel, or is the better ride/handling more important.

Also of cosideration is how much two up riding he plans to do.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jaysonL

Another consideration, is how tall are you ? I took more time than most to shop around. I rode, sat on everything I could for a year and a half. I waffled between the Deuce, and the Wide Glide when it came down to it. But for straight up comfort right off of the show room floor it was the W.G. I'm a little over 6'2". I have a 36 inch inseam, and there isn't a softail made that had forward enough controls for me to get comfy on. As far as the balanced motor being smoother, I can honestly say that my mirrors are as smooth as glass at highway speeds. I love my Dyna, the ONLY thing I would own other than another Dyna, is a touring bike. I kind of wish I'd have bought the Road King Custom, or the Street Glide. Lord willing I'll have a bike with bags after I get old, LOL, I just know someone will take offense to that.
Mines smooth at speed as well. I've got the classic harley shake at idle of course, but once at speed, it disappears.

I did have a little vibe trouble at one time, but the MoCo replaced the front motor mount, and aligned the bike. That eliminated the vibe.

The softails buzz me. After an hour or so my hands are buzzing. Feels like someone is hitting the frame repeatedly with a hammer.

Like it's been said so many times. Best way to pick a harley is to rent everything you are considering for at least a full day, and really put some miles on it. Then buy what YOU want.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Kerrbon
Intermediate

Rent before you buy!!!!!!!!!

For a day, rent a Softail and then the next week rent a Dyna. It is the best way to see which YOU AND YOUR STYLE OF RIDING enjoy the most.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Mines smooth at speed as well. I've got the classic harley shake at idle of course, but once at speed, it disappears.

I did have a little vibe trouble at one time, but the MoCo replaced the front motor mount, and aligned the bike. That eliminated the vibe.

The softails buzz me. After an hour or so my hands are buzzing. Feels like someone is hitting the frame repeatedly with a hammer.

Like it's been said so many times. Best way to pick a harley is to rent everything you are considering for at least a full day, and really put some miles on it. Then buy what YOU want.
Although the Nightrain and Deuce Softails are what I'd fallen in love with,my logical side almost convinced me to buy a Dyna Superglide,I actually had a deposit on one that was on the way but still felt extremly uncertain.

I went back and forth between the Softail and Dyna forums frequently,It was reading about the problems some Dyna riders experience with motor mounts that finally made my decision for me.

Not sure why,but I haven't experienced the "Softail buzz" at all,not even slightly but I've seen it mentioned by several riders in the forum.

Above all else,like Psycho said...the best thing is to test ride 'em.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 PM
dynrdave
Road Master

I had an fxd last time, nice bike but to me it seemed to much like a sportster, love my softail.

Quick Reply: Softail Vs Dyna