Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Lock-missing key

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Pinebro
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Lock-missing key

I just bought a '05 Heritage from a Harley Custom shop. It was a repo so they had to change the ignition lock. I have the keys for the ignition, but the original keys are unavailable so I can't lock my steering. HD was contacted with the VIN so a duplicate key could be made. Unfortunately, HD screwed up and they can't provide the key code.
Can a key be made from the lock? I don't want to go through disassembly of the steering just to replace a lock.
I've been using a disc lock, but want the extra theft protection.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Why can't HD give you the code from the VIN? I accidentally busted the fork lock in my RKC 'cause I was a douchebag & used the wrong key in the lock (shows you how good it is) gave the dealer my VIN & they had a new lock & keys in a coupla days.

Doesn't your key have the code on it?

Otherwise, you gotta change the lock & have it keyed to your ignition. Unless you wanna carry 2 keys.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it. The fork lock won't stop anybody. I quit using it on my RK because there was a good chance it would get stuck and not be able to unlock.

The disk lock is good.

The only thing I would recommend is a cable/chain so you can lock it down to something, otherwise they'll just pick it up and throw it in a van.

Or you could use a silent pager and a 1911 ....

Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by poppavein
I wouldn't worry about it. The fork lock won't stop anybody. I quit using it on my RK because there was a good chance it would get stuck and not be able to unlock.

The disk lock is good.

The only thing I would recommend is a cable/chain so you can lock it down to something, otherwise they'll just pick it up and throw it in a van.

Or you could use a silent pager and a 1911 ....

Perfect!

In an emergency, remember "Dial 1911"!!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 AM
kzoo
Road Master

I never lock my forks and rarely even lock the ignition. If they want it, they are going to take it. THen I get a new scoot!!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try and get a key anyway its always good to have

Old 01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Soop67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BrianG
Perfect!

In an emergency, remember "Dial 1911"!!
Uhhh, 1911 as in M1911 .45 cal pistol. It's a gun.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not quite getting all the "I never lock my forks comments". Granted 3 guys and a pick up can make your bike disappear but there is some comfort in a locked and turned fork when your in a bar for 2 hours. Otherwise any ******* can roll your bike away in about 15 seconds.

I'd rather only have to worry about the 3 ******** in a pick up truck than anyone at all that could just roll her away. maybe being next to the highest car theft capital in the country make me feel extra strong about this. If I lived in a normal place I guess I wouldn't sweat it. I have cameras outside my house and many guns inside. My brother who doesn't live near here actually doesn't own keys for his house. He just leaves it open and keys to his truck in the truck. Two different worlds.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gliden
I'm not quite getting all the "I never lock my forks comments". Granted 3 guys and a pick up can make your bike disappear but there is some comfort in a locked and turned fork when your in a bar for 2 hours. Otherwise any ******* can roll your bike away in about 15 seconds.

I'd rather only have to worry about the 3 ******** in a pick up truck than anyone at all that could just roll her away. maybe being next to the highest car theft capital in the country make me feel extra strong about this. If I lived in a normal place I guess I wouldn't sweat it. I have cameras outside my house and many guns inside. My brother who doesn't live near here actually doesn't own keys for his house. He just leaves it open and keys to his truck in the truck. Two different worlds.
I hear ya Bro,
In this state,
If it's locked or alarmed or nailed down, it might get stolen.
If it's not locked or alarmed or nailed down, it will definitely get stolen!

I even have the semi useless H-D alarm with remote pager. I have locking saddlebags and made a lock for the detachable windshield.
When I park it, I take everything out of the fairing pockets and lock them in the saddlebags.
All that and I am still leary about it when ever it is parked out of my sight.
My only comfort is if I parked it next to other bikes and at least one of them has made his bike and accessories easier to steal than mine.

Oh, and a good insurance plan, that's why we pay some of the highest insurance premimums in the country.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

We must live near by....lol.

Originally Posted by Jester750
I hear ya Bro,
In this state,
If it's locked or alarmed or nailed down, it might get stolen.
If it's not locked or alarmed or nailed down, it will definitely get stolen!

I even have the semi useless H-D alarm with remote pager. I have locking saddlebags and made a lock for the detachable windshield.
When I park it, I take everything out of the fairing pockets and lock them in the saddlebags.
All that and I am still leary about it when ever it is parked out of my sight.
My only comfort is if I parked it next to other bikes and at least one of them has made his bike and accessories easier to steal than mine.

Oh, and a good insurance plan, that's why we pay some of the highest insurance premimums in the country.

Quick Reply: Steering Lock-missing key