Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 FLSTN - numbered?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:52 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 390 Posts

Great thread on the Moo-glide!!

Read through the whole thing.
I remember seeing them on the showroom floor.

Couple things,
I know there was talk about numbered bikes.
The reintroduction of the springer, "1988 springer softail" was a numbered bike as well. 1,450 and was on the dash but only 1,356 were actually made from what I've read.
Was a mid year bike.

I also looked on eBay out of curiosity to see if there were any moo-glides for sale and found one there. Guy wants 25,000 but it's in great shape with low mileage.
For the record, I have no affiliation with the person selling the bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272713116538

Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 PM
heberman
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back to the basics

Hi guys,

I have been riding my VROD for several years, even a "Porsche" design engine and power to the back tire, there was something missing. It was not a HD for real

I decided to sell it and move into a SOftail and look for a nice EVO one. NOw I am moving with a 94 softail (Nostalgia or not ) and to be honest, after more than 30 years riding bikes, I have never felt the road as in this bike.

I enjoy riding every moring to work, is my 30 minutes of heaven.

Sound amazing, feeling of the engine, great look, reliable ... maybe a bit too wrong with brakes, in fact gonna change into new ones.

All coleagues in my chapter are just amaze with it, even those riding the Limited ones ... my mecanic keeps asking if I wanna sell it ....

I hope it will last another 24 years ...

here some pics.

M

Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Springerpilot
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Heberman,
Nice pic...a Spanish coastal sunset. Great to see a 94 Heritage Softail Special over there. It looks mostly stock as well (although I cannot see the pipe-side of the bike). If you have the original seat - even better. Still it looks great with what you have on it and the stock paint is the most important thing to have on these bikes. I understand exactly what you mean by saying it just feels right on the road...always love how the EVOs just leisurely rumble down the road.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Danny61
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading through this thread I thought to share my story of how I came by my FLSTN.Last year My daughter and son in law came over for grill & swill,she drove her car and he came later on his 06 road king. The son in law had many cocktails so he rode home with my daughter and left the bike saying "ride it". So my lady and I did, not getting it back to him for 2 months. Yeah I was hooked!!
One of the rides we drove by this bike with a for sale sign on it,love at first sight but I was in no position to buy a bike. Well decided I could take out a loan we went back and it wasn't there. Blew it I thought. Skip forward to this August, lady calls me up (she was out running errands) and tells me get your shoes on I have something to show you and **** I'm thinking whats wrong with your car now? She pulls up and I walk out barefooted thinking I don't needs shoes to listen to her new "noise" in her car. Wasn't a noise but she drove me over to where we saw the bike for sale and was still there!! Talked to the man about it and told I'd come back next week and take it for a scoot and see what happens.Long story short..he wanted $6500 originally,would let it go for $5200.I offered $4800 and rode it home.
Have the stock saddle bags and seat.It had the junk cam bearing in it and 37580 miles, caught it in time as the race was almost gone.Put the bearing, an andrews 27 cam, lifters,and push rods(non-adjustable). Runs great and put over 1000 miles on since. Yep..sweet bike!

Last edited by Danny61; 10-21-2017 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SimonR (04-07-2019)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Springerpilot
Cruiser

Danny61,
Congratulations on your purchase...Your '94 Special looks great, certainly looks like more than a $5,000 bike! Heck, the previous owner's asking price was the lowest I've seen or heard of; and even with your bearing, cam, and labor $ you're all-in below 7K... wow, congrats.
For review:
I bought my FLSTN in Aug 1993 for $13,999 ( $23,900 in 2017 dollars)
I sold it in 1997 for $18,000 ($27,600 in 2017 dollars)
In 2016 you saw your FLSTN listed for $6,500 ($4,000 in 1994 dollars)
You PAID $4,800 for your new bike ($2,960 in 1994 dollars)

Wow! You did great! Keep er running strong and enjoy every mile. Your wife did you a solid by spotting the bike for you!

Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 AM
97stalker
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

beautiful, but it really needs the stock seat and bags. wish you had posted before...i just sold an extra stock 94 seat and set of bags. the bags i sold are actually on ebay now. finding the 94 seats and bags are tougher than hens teeth. they are one-year-only grey leather, not black. i have a passenger backrest for sale on ebay as well - brand new. i own a 93 and 94. as much as i love the 93 i truly think the 94 is the prettier one...

The following users liked this post:
Springerpilot (08-17-2023)
Old 12-18-2017, 12:34 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad to see this thread. I bought a 96 FLSTN off of a friend who was the original owner, but it's more complicated than that.

My buddy bought his 96 FLSTN new off the showroom floor. A few years later a mutual friend passed and he bought his Fatboy and sold the FLSTN to a different mutual friend. The second owner of the FLSTN did not ride much, so his brother-in-law would ride it. Somewhere around 2008 the original owner of the FLSTN bought it back and in 2009 we took my first road trip with a few other friends. In February 2012 the original owner decided to sell the FLSTN and after some back and forth I bought it with 18,000 miles on it for $6,000.

Since then I have put 40,000 miles on it and due to necessity changed out the exhaust so I could fit floor boards for my wife and I changed the seat to one with a backrest. Sadly, it is showing the wear and looks no where near as good as it did when I bought it. The original parts are in my garage waiting for the time when I put the bike back to original condition.

I had the cam bearing fail on my in 2014 and had all kinds of carnage in the cam and sheared the key of in the keyway. The bearing was gone, nothing left of it. My bike shop replaced the bearing and cam and found the bearing inside the oil pump. Replaced the oil pump and she fired right up and has been running great since

Photos:
Shortly after I purchased the bike in 2012. I had added a cheap drivers backrest that provided minimal support

And how it essentially looks today although since then it has gotten some garage rash and it is crying to be fixed. This photo was also taken 3,000 miles into a 4,000 mile trip and I had ridden through a fair amount of rain so the rear whitewall was filthy

Last edited by cacomly; 12-18-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Springerpilot
Cruiser

Calcomly,
You have a great story there about acquiring a very unique bike. Glad you have ridden so much. I vastly prefer the look of the 'shotgun' exhaust, with the original fishtails no less, over the 2-1;BUT you provide a good reason for the switch.
Anytime a dirty whitewall bothers an owner, its a sign that they love their bike!
Nice job, thanks for the pics, ride safe.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:43 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Thanks,
I went with the closest I could with the 2-1 when I made the swap. The original owner punched out the baffles on the shotgun exhaust and it sounds as good as it looks (to me anyway) and it will find it's way back on once I get a new(er) bike to carry my wife around on.

My saddlebags are well used, stretched in some places and discolored in others. I've soaked them in leather conditioner and that has helped keep them pliable, but will likely need to find a leather restorer to get them into better shape. I have seen one set on ebay and I simply did not hat the $400 or so that they went for at the time to buy them. I added the aux light kit because I like the added light and the bike just didn't look right to me without them. It was a NOS kit and they are getting hard to find as well.

Sadly, I lowered my lift onto the front fender last year and all about cried when I saw the divot on the top. Last I checked new painted front fenders were available from HD so I may order one in a week or two so the bike is a little more presentable.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:56 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartender
Great thread on the Moo-glide!!
They only called it the Moo-Glide for 1 1/2 years and only the one that was black and white with Holstein inlays in the seat and saddle bags.
If I am not mistaken that is.
I looked at that bike allot, came close to buying one in the crate.
Family was to young and it was not in the budget at the time.
7-8 years back I ran into one that the seat and bags had been pulled as soon as the bike got home and boxed up.
Love the bike

Last edited by GRWHD; 12-19-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 1994 FLSTN - numbered?