Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What year Night Train??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Trains are probably one of the best bikes Harley's ever made, I remember speaking to a dealer when they first came out and he said everybody in the deal ship took one look at it and said " that'll never sell " turns out it was the best selling bike that year they couldnt get enough of them, I think now there's very few people who don't like them. As others have said 06 was the last year you could get A carb on it, Harley's must have changed sometime later in the year as mine is efi, personally I've had both on a bike, as long as its works im not really fussy which I have, although carbs are easier to work on if they go wrong, whereas efi is a dealer job.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

If you preferr a carbed bike , or can only afford an early one might be a good idea to read some of the numerous posts about the camm shoe problems some people have had with the 88 engined bikes.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM
discodave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a carb'd bike before getting my 08 Nightrain (EFI) and I prefer the Fuel Injected model MUCH better. That's just my preference though. I used to have to let my carb'd bike warm up for at least four or five minutes before I could take off. Fuel Injection is just much easier.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Pha8
Hey everyone. Im new to this fourm and lookin to buy my first Harley. But first i would like to get some opinions on a Night Train. My first question is, what was the last year for a carbureted Night train? what are the good/bad things between Carb and EFI? and which would be the "most perfered" Carb vs EFI? any opinions/ comments would be much appreciated! Thanks
1. last Yr of carbed - 06

2. Carb vs EFI Best to read and learn
..http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Harley+carb+vs+Fuel+injection

3. Most preferred... That'll start a big debate in here.. many threads on this subject also.

4. 96er and 6speed with the new Hyd tensioners will make U happier.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me I needed to have a 200mm rear so '06 and up. When I found mine I was looking at a '07 and a '08 but those were almost bone stock and had more miles and were a lot more cash. Mine came with a lot of mods done had lower miles too and was cheaper. To me the 88 motor is plenty fast and mine has EFI. Coming off a carb '95 dyna wide glide it's night and day. I do like the EFI better it's smoother. I do wish I had a 6th gear but hey got to have something to shoot for on the next bike!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
bill in okc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading that the first Night Train was a model requested by Harley dealers in Europe and was at first a Europe-only model. Maybe 1998? Then they decided to sell them in the US - 1999? glad they did.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM
NightTrainBM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with CSS.. The 06 seemed to be a decent price point. Im happy with the TC 88. They're good motors. Plenty fast enough with the correct mods. I love my train. Everytime I walk into my local HD dealer the good looking female sales person always asks when she can get me out of my train and into a black line? ( I'm
Usually thinking, well if I could see you na.... Ehh never mind lol ) what I really say is - ill get out of my train as soon as they start making it again. Although they do have a nice 09 sitting there. :-0

Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Those Blacklines are sweet but I won't trade my train for one either. My next bike will be a street glide......in 20 years lol!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 PM
NightTrainBM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CSS - im on your path!!! My train will be with me forever... I'm
Only adding from here... Next welill be a Bagger for sure. Whether it be a Road Glide or Street Glide. I'm completely happy, wait - that passed on to eBay for more mods/parts lol.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:10 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

I like my 08 it has EFI has 200mm rear tire and 96 engine and runs awesome. I waited several years till I found the right train as compromise wasnt in my vocabulary and I finally found my 08 used one owner with 6k miles when I bought it and I will keep it forever. When my back goes out I will probably have to buy one of those easy riding bikes like an Ultra but I will still keep my train.

Quick Reply: What year Night Train??????