Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rake Trees

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Goodsy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rake Trees

Hi,

I Have a 2001 FXST and I would like to put 3 Degree raked triple trees on.

Can anyone advise me on how much over I will need to go with the fork legs to keep the trail in.

Many thanks Goodsy

Old 01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
jimb
Road Master
Default RE: Rake Trees

go to perseperformance.com and there is a chart on what you can do.You have to take some measuremants but it will tell you what you need to know.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:47 AM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to try and help you here, but you'll have to bear with me. What I'm thinking dosen't always make it to my finger tips. The first thing you need to know is, the 01 FXST already has raked trees. How much, (I believe it to be 2 degrees), butsomeone else may know for sure. I've seen the neck rake on the 01 softail frames advertised as 31, 31.5 and 32 degrees. Personally I believe it to be 32 degree neck rake, along with 2 degree trees. If you can find an older harley advertisement, you'll see that they advertise the fatboy as having 32 degrees rake, and the FXST as having 34 degrees rake, and they both have the exact same frame, and neck rake, which means the FXST has 2 degree raked trees. To achieve 3 more degrees rake, you'll need to get 5 degree trees, and I wouldn't do that. You'll reduce the trail too much.

Now, you can use 3 degree cups, and that would be the same as raking the neck. That would give you a 35 degree neck rake, along with 2 degree stocktrees, for a total of 37 degrees rake. Raking the neck increases trail, and raking the trees reduces trail. Too much trail, low speed handling problems (heavy, flop over feel), too little trail, high speed handling problems (wobble).Thats why you see 5 degree trees on37-39degree customs. 37-39 degree neck rake increases trail too much, but by raking the trees, you reduce that trail. 35 degrees neck rake is about where you begin to experience (low speed, heavy feeling)handling problems, and need to start correcting the trail. Harly must have thought 34 degrees was about where they thought you need to start correcting the trail, because in 06 they increased the neck rake on the wide glide from 32to 34 degrees, and added 2 degree trees for a total of 36 drgrees rake. If you ride an 06 wide glide, the front feels lighter than your softail, and thats because of the trail. I may be wrong, but I believe 3 degree cups, along with 2 degrees trees may give you a feel, similar to thatof an 06 wide glide, which is fantastic. I'm not sure if I've made myself clear, or just confused you, butthe bottom line is, 3 degree trees will only give you 1 more degree rake than you already have, and I don't believe you're going to be happy with the handling if you go to 5 degree trees.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:05 PM
YEFFRO12
Cruiser

reh13, great post imho. I need to print that out.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:38 PM
lawdog
Advanced

Thanks. That is some good information but I am just as confused as before. I think I may need to read up on rake, trail, and tree's.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:49 PM
LuckyBob
Advanced

I am in the process of adding 3* cups and 3* trees to my 06 Night Train. I contacted RB racing and told them what I was doing, they put it in their computer and came back with a trail number of 5" with 2" over tubes. The tubes keep the bike somewhat level as I have lowered the rear 1.75". A couple of things to think about - that I have discovered - the cups sprread the trees some, requiring a longer neck stem. The cup kit I purchased included the stem, but I purchased smooth top trees and the stem design wouldn't work. My machine shop wants 2 hours labor to make one up. Expensive.
I'm hoping to get it back together next week and I will finally post some pictures. I have been lurking here for sometime, buy haven't posted any pics yet.

Let me know if you have any further questions as to the actual install as I have just done it.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:05 PM
alanstrain
6th Gear

I have an 06 Night-Train in which I put 7 degree rake in the trees and 2 inch down in the tubes. My back end is lowered 1 3/4 to 2 inches. I didn't get the heavy flop feeling at slow speeds, but a definate turning radius decrease. At high speed 80+ and strong wind conditions it can develop a little speed wobble.I have never found it unmanageable, but i would recommend not using over 5 degree in the trees.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16711/CEBE0B860E37445582AB1886927B6AA0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 AM
iallam
5th Gear

I went for Accutronix plus 5 degrees on my 99 FXSTC and it rides great even at high speeds. I did it after calculating the trail value. more than 5 degreesis not a good idea on a stock softail frame.So you will have no problems with 3 degrees. Good luck

Old 02-03-2007, 11:45 AM
iallam
5th Gear

forgot to mention that the stock FXST tripple tree does have 2 degrees. The neck rake is 32 degrees so you have a total of 34 dergrees. You might as well go for the plus 5 degrees tripple tree. dont think the plus three will add much of an effect.
On anther note I also replaced the fork tubes with a +2 inches over stock lenght to compensate for the increase angle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24360/4BD85C76256B42948749F72497B518FF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 AM
BamBamUSMC
Intermediate

I'm researching a similar project, stretching my FXST a bit. I look like an ape on a grape right now at 6' 4", but I also wanna retain the ride quality as I ride pretty hard. I'm using the RB Racing calculator and here's what I come up with....

Stock:
Angle:34*
Trail: 4.44" (It's advertised at 5" but the calc says 4.44")
Wheel Base: 66.5"
Neck Height:38.61"

With 3* neck cups, 4* rake, and +4" on the tubes:
Angle: 41.58*
Trail: 4.4"
Wheel Base:69.09"
Neck Height: 38.86"

Everything is almost identical except for the wheel base of course. Based on these numbers can I assume a similar ride since its not a drastic change and the similar trail/Neck height values?

If anyone has done something similar I would really appreciate some input before I pull the trigger. I'm out in Afghan. trying to put everything together online before I come home.

Quick Reply: Rake Trees