Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:59 PM
03sporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Electrical Problem

Hi, It's been awhile since I've been on. I thought y'all will love this one. Any I traded my 03 Sportster for an 01 Softail Duece. i really love this bike. Yesterday my wife noticed that my stoplights weren't working. I checked a few things and couldn't figure it out. So this morning I took it to the dealer. On the way there the dash display went out, the horn stopped working and turn signals as well. The service advisor said it must be a short, but I really don't believe it. Has this happend to anyone else???

Old 02-11-2007, 06:05 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bad Electrical Problem

If my memory serves me, all the things you mentioned are on the same fuse. You may have a short, I would start looking in the taillight housing or under the fender. Anyway sounds like you are letting the dealer handle it.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Pilzner
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Similar thing happenned to me - started with turn signals and then panel lights, etc. Changed the fuse, and when I turned on power it popped again. I disassembled the chrome pods and clutch assembly and finally found I had a wire pinched that was shorting. Wrapped eletrical tape around it and was more careful reassembling. No problems since then.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
20NightTrain03
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing happened to me

a few monthes after i put my custom LED turn signals on a power wire rubbed thru to the frame (ground)

blew the fuse on my way to work one morning, i look down and see my speedo stuck on 70MPH

Old 02-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 03sporty

Hi, It's been awhile since I've been on. I thought y'all will love this one. Any I traded my 03 Sportster for an 01 Softail Duece. i really love this bike. Yesterday my wife noticed that my stoplights weren't working. I checked a few things and couldn't figure it out. So this morning I took it to the dealer. On the way there the dash display went out, the horn stopped working and turn signals as well. The service advisor said it must be a short, but I really don't believe it. Has this happend to anyone else???

If you don't believe it's a short...what would you believe? What do you expect the problem to be?

Old 02-11-2007, 09:59 PM
03sporty
Cruiser

I'm not really sure, at first I had running lights but no brake lights. I remove the back light and got my test light and probed the wires. I wan not getting any juice to the brake light wire comming from the front of the bike. I thought mabey it was the brake pressure switch but I didn't test that. I figured that mabey because the bike is fuel injected that it has a computer, and mabey the problem is there. I took it to Harley because I have an extended warranty. I figured hell thats why I got the warranty. Let them fix it. I'll let you all know what develops.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:42 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

If you don't believe it's a short...what would you believe? What do you expect the problem to be?
Things like this are very often "open" circuits, like a loose or high resistance gound path. Or an electrical pin out that has pushed its way loose from the connector that its suposed to be plugged into.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:11 PM
03sporty
Cruiser

Just found out from the dealer, the problem was caused by an LED liscense plate fram that was not wired correctly. So they will re-wire it for about $100.00 for the whole job. Oh well at least I'll get my bike back today.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just found out from the dealer, the problem was caused by an LED liscense plate fram that was not wired correctly. So they will re-wire it for about $100.00 for the whole job. Oh well at least I'll get my bike back today.
Glad to read it was an easy fix. Whenever you have an electrical problem, the first place to start looking is where there were mods done to the bike.
Tom

Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 PM
20NightTrain03
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

Glad to read it was an easy fix. Whenever you have an electrical problem, the first place to start looking is where there were mods done to the bike.
Tom
true dat!

agree 100%