Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM
CobraEd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer front end

My son bought an 09 Crossbones practically brand new from the dealer in 2010. It probably has about 4 thousand miles on it now. From day one we noticed almost no travel in the front end. When you push up and down on it it barely moves. We just assumed that is the way springer front ends are.

But, . . The other day I was at the dealer and sat on a Softail Springer. I pushed up and down on the font end and it moved up and down just like any other front end would do with modern tubes. I am assuming the Crossbones and the Softail Springer have the same front end. Any thoughts on why the Crossbones barely moves???? Is it adjustable????

Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Probably needs a rocker adjustment. They may be too tight.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I agree with hspring03. They are not the maintenence free forks many think they are. The rockers as well as the steering head needs anual maintenence and adjustment. Its all in the manual, but any dealer can perform it as well. Once set up right, a Springer will ride quite nice.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
blastonerski
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that same problem a month ago. It definitely needs to be adjusted and also had to replace a bushing because after adjusting everything it locks up again...becomes rigid after applying the front brakes.

Originally Posted by CobraEd
My son bought an 09 Crossbones practically brand new from the dealer in 2010. It probably has about 4 thousand miles on it now. From day one we noticed almost no travel in the front end. When you push up and down on it it barely moves. We just assumed that is the way springer front ends are.

But, . . The other day I was at the dealer and sat on a Softail Springer. I pushed up and down on the font end and it moved up and down just like any other front end would do with modern tubes. I am assuming the Crossbones and the Softail Springer have the same front end. Any thoughts on why the Crossbones barely moves???? Is it adjustable????

Old 03-12-2013, 03:40 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

Definitely needs adjusting.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:55 PM
beakerztoyz
Tourer

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I agree with hspring03. They are not the maintenence free forks many think they are. The rockers as well as the steering head needs anual maintenence and adjustment. Its all in the manual, but any dealer can perform it as well. Once set up right, a Springer will ride quite nice.
Not trying to hijaq the thread, but according to my service manual the rockers on my springer are past due for adjustment, the book describes setting the right side and the left side differently.... I might sound stupid for asking but do they mean right and left as if I am sitting on the bike or as i am looking at the front end from in front of the bike?

My bike is a 1995 and I have the factory service manual, and seeing as how the book says it needs to be done every 16,000 km (about 10,000 miles} it seems to me like something it would be good for me to learn how to do.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 PM
CobraEd
Tourer

I Googled springer rocker adjustment and there is a lot of info out there. It appears that the springer front ends require a lot of periodic adjustment and maintenance that we were not aware of. I still find it hard to believe that the lower rocker adjustment could be so tight that there is almost no suspension travel at all. You would think that the weight of the bike would overpower a tight bushing at the pivot point.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Being a machinist, I'm not surprised at all something like a springer front end would lock up by being just a little out of adjustment or past a maintenance schedule.
Beakerztoyz, the left side is as you're sitting on it. The primary side.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

When I sit on the bike, lock the front brake and push/pull on the handle bar, I get maybe 1/2 inch (if that much) movement either way. Not at all like on the FXRs I used to have.

However when I ride the bike there is plenty of movement and the ride is smooth -- and living where I live some of the roads are not in great shape. I was actually thinking my front was too loose because it sometimes bottoms out when I use a heavy hand on the front brake.

So question is, before you rip into the front end, does the bike ride fine over irregularities in the road?

For all you know the bike you sat on in the shop was set too loose.